Service Dogs Won't Bite, But We Will

Service Dogs Won't Bite, But We Will

They're heroes requiring respect.

18
Service Dogs Won't Bite, But We Will
Sonja Jordan

There is a huge difference between walking a dog on a leash and walking a dog with a vest. It does not take a trained eye to notice that one dog is more focused than the other. Service dogs are capable of performing a number of tasks for their owner, ranging from stopping them at street corners, to dialing 911 in an emergency, to detecting seizures. Service dogs are used in families with specific needs. But contrary to popular belief, there is no registry for them. Service dogs are an incredible addition to any family, but almost every family with a service dog faces the same issue: public ignorance.

My mother's dog wears a bright yellow collar that states "Caution Working Dog" and purple vest that has a patch that says "Please Ask To Pet." Minerva is only a service dog in training, and my mother wants to invite people to understand what service dogs do. In her case, it's welcomed to ask to pet her, as long as we're not in a hurry or busy. But for those who walk past her and touch her, or who click at her and get her attention, you're distracting someone from their job. The reason you can't openly come up and touch a service dog is the reason they're allowed almost everywhere in the U.S. They have a duty to fulfill to their owners, and will get all the love and treats their heart desires when the vest comes off and they're off duty. For the dogs who detect oncoming seizures, being petted distracts them from possibly saving someone's life, and for those who are blind and have service dogs, you're taking advantage of someone's disability.

Then there's the stress of people who don't like dogs. Minerva has been mistaken for a pit bull, and the second those words leave someone's mouth, the attitude in the room changes. I've seen mothers scream with their children when she turns the corner, and make us wait to take an elevator because they think she might do something because "she might be a Pit Bull." She's an American Bull Dog mix, and for the record, it wouldn't matter if she were a Pit Bull. Furthermore, she's better trained than your children that are making a mess of the elevator and/or screaming in a hotel lobby.

Then there are untrained staff who feel that they have the right to turn away business simply because we have a dog. Once again, ignoring the vest, clearing stating "Service Dog In Training" all over. Service dogs are allowed in public areas, hotels included. It's also illegal to demand documentation and, frankly, rude to ask my mother or anyone why they have one. You would never ask someone why they're in a wheelchair; the same rule applies here.

Honestly, you're lucky. These dogs are trained. Minerva won't bite your hand off if you decide to come up and blatantly ignore the sign on her vest. My mother and I might bite, though. Other people who have different reasons for service dogs might seriously get angry and confront you in public. You wouldn't come up and take my phone out of my hand and say, "Wow! What a cool phone!" What makes my mother's dog any different? When you pet her without asking, or so much looking at the people she is attached to, you render us powerless. You dehumanize us because you feel we are not worth the time to get permission to pet the dog that we speak for. We are no longer in control of our situation. If my mom needed Minerva, you have taken that option away from her for your own selfish pleasure for the time being. You are setting back the training that Minerva is in simply because you couldn't take the time to say four words. I've seen service dogs with literally dozens of signs on their vest, leash, collar and on their owner get touched without permission, and the reaction was not ideal for anyone, even though it was easily preventable.

We're not asking for you to part the crowds for us to walk through or roll out the red carpet. All we want is respect. Respect for the things that belong to us, that we put the time in to care for and love. You don't feed Minerva or take her out every night, nor do you spend hours every day teaching her. By all means, come up and ask about her and other service dogs. We are always open to educating other people, and while we talk you can love on her as much as you want. If your kids want to pet her, ask us, and maybe they'll even get the opportunity to give her a treat. If not, simply smile and give us some space. And we'll do the same for you.