Recap: Sequoyah Prep School's Second Reunion Show

Here's to reminiscing and dancing in the rain again!

209
Kali Webber

In 2013, after eight years of writing music and producing five albums, Sequoyah Prep School (also known as Sequoyah), an alternative/acoustic/indie/folk band hailing from Florence, South Carolina, disbanded. Then, in fall 2014, singer Justin Osborne, and guitarist/singer West Jones embarked on an acoustic reunion tour; just the two of them. The acoustic tour was everything Sequoyah fans had been wanting and then some, but what about getting the whole band back together for old time's sake? Two years had passed and then Sequoyah drops a bomb on their Facebook page: on December 29, 2016 they would be doing just that...getting the whole band back together at their old stomping grounds of New Brookland Tavern (located in West Columbia, SC) for their *technically* second reunion show since the disbanding. Needless to say, as soon as tickets went on sale, Ticketfly was bombarded with purchases and the show was sold out in approximately 30 minutes. Of course, people flooded Sequoyah's Facebook page with posts begging for a second date to be added or for a location change to a bigger venue. Hours later, we got the answer we had been hoping for: a second date was added for December 28 at the same venue. This second date sold out in a record eight minutes. Which is pretty fantastic, just goes to show that no matter what happens to a band, there will always be devoted fans.

Fast forward to the show that I actually attended: the second date on Wednesday, December 28. Arriving early to a show, especially one that is sold out, is an absolute must if you want good spots. Naturally, I arrived an hour and a half early and was first in line while awaiting on one of my best friends to arrive. I was excited for two reasons: seeing Sequoyah Prep School, of course, and being able to get that wristband of privilege instead of underage hand stamps.

A band called Youngster, hailing from Charleston, S.C., opened for Sequoyah. They were pretty good, definitely had that folky/indie vibe going on.

Once Youngster finished and the intermission ended, the moment we all had been yelling for happened: Sequoyah Prep School came out on stage. Despite having seen two out of the five members of the band just two years prior, everyone was more grown-up and doing something new since Sequoyah. Two of the members are actually in new bands. But the set list, oh my gosh the set list, was glorious. We had throwbacks, fan favourites, and everything beautiful in-between.

From beginning with 'Maybe I'm In,' to the end with 'On My Mind,' the show was one to never forget. My heart melted with 'About Rain,' it's my favourite, and my soul lurched with 'Live Forever.' My feet were moving with 'Holy City' and 'Apple Pie' and my heart broke with 'Wait.' I screamed along to 'Wanted Man' and fell in love again with 'Nobody But You.' And the night went on and on, we visited 'Old #4' and '501' and even put our 'Hands in the Dirt.' It was just a fantastic night, words cannot describe the amount of happiness that was endured during those three and a half hours when the doors opened. From the out-of-the-ordinary instrumental appearances of a chain (for 'Hands in the Dirt'), a keyboard, and a mandolin to the lovely dancing skills of the men of Sequoyah Prep School, again it was just a night to remember, for sure. There was nothing but good music and good vibes, what more could we ask?

Hopefully, in two more years, we'll hear news of another reunion show. And if that happens, even though by that time I'll be *hopefully* out-of-state for veterinary school, Carolina will certainly be 'On My Mind' and the trip would be worth it to have another blissful night listening and reminiscing to the music of Sequoyah Prep School.

If you haven't heard any songs by Sequoyah Prep School, I highly recommend checking them out.