You Can Be Both Sensitive And Tough

Sensitivity is a trait that you automatically know if you have or not. If you're like me, you know you're sensitive, and it can be hard to admit. No one likes to claim that as one of their traits because it's viewed as a weakness. However, it's really not.

Sensitivity means that you're more likely to react emotionally. You feel things on a deeper level. Something that may not affect someone else can affect you. Yep, that's me. I can get my feelings hurt easily. I'm a bit more vulnerable. But I'm also tough.

I've been through a lot in life. I can handle life's rough patches and mean words. For a long time, I believed that my sensitivity would go away as I grew older. As a child, I had difficulty handling my emotions because I grew up in a household that was not as sensitive as me. Over time, I just assumed that I grew less sensitive to things. But that wasn't the case.

Sure, I grew up a lot but I was not necessarily becoming less sensitive. It's a personality trait that I will always have. The thing that did change about me was my ability to be tough.

Whenever something upsetting happens, I experience emotions that I have to get through. That's where the toughness kicks in: I know how to get through things. I don't allow my emotions to take over. I depend on myself. It's all about how you react.

Feelings are something that no one can control. I've always had a lot of emotional feelings and that's just part of who I am. That makes me sensitive, but it doesn't make me weak. The way someone handles their feelings says everything. I believe that if I handle them in a controlled and mature manner, then I'm tough.

Like everyone, I slip up now and then. My emotions take over and I may say something I regret. I'm still growing and learning from the world. But so far, I feel like I've come a long way. To some people, I may be seen as weak and fragile. That's okay because I know the challenges that I have overcome.