A Letter To Senior Year Me

A Letter To Senior Year Me

And for any high school seniors struggling with the last couple of months before graduation too.

183
Photo by Helloquence on Unsplash
Unsplash

Dear Senior Year Sarah,

At this point, you were studying for your final round of AP exams, getting in all the college credit you can, and praying to get a 3 on AP Calc. You were creating a year-long video project that took up all of your time at school and dabbling in journalism and writing. Despite the mild seasonal depression, EDing to Syracuse University has been your best decision. So many opportunities and people are waiting for you here.

But a couple of things you should know before you walk across the stage with a diploma:

1. You're not touching video editing software in a long time

But that's okay because you ended up doing photography now and learning from the ground up. You're gonna have to play catch up with your classmates, but you have the eye and the work ethic to pull you through.

2. You're going to be surprised who you end up staying in contact with

You still have your small circle back home for everything and anything, but there are a couple of people you'll get to know better away from your hometown while you're on different campuses.

3. Time is the most valuable asset 

And you'll feel like you never have enough of it. You're still working on maximizing the time you have in a day by surrounding yourself with people who do. Minutes and seconds are irreplaceable.

4. You're going to be thankful about your physical and mental health

You're so blessed that your immune system is tough. Being sick in college is so common and limiting your potential. With that, your resistance and ability to bounce back from hard failures (after crying it out) will be your friend.

5. Money isn't the most important thing, but your tuition isn't going to pay itself

Yes, you filled out the FAFSA and CSS Profile. Yes, you got your financial aid packet on MySlice. But dad is not going to be happy when a $1000 bill is sent to him because you didn't submit health insurance and being charged for the university's policy.

6. You're paying for the educations and connections- use them!

I know you enjoy your classes and usually find ways to apply them in your life like the nerd you are, but you're paying thousands of dollars now to ensure a job with all these connections Syracuse gives you. Please use this network wisely and to your advantage. The faculty want to help and see you succeed in your dream life.

7. College is a tradeoff

You will sacrifice alone time and a room to yourself and a place to play piano and sing badly. You're going to miss your piano in the living room and singing at home. But you have the freedom to make your own schedule and not run errands for anyone else.

8. You're going to surprise yourself 

First, you changed your major to photography out of all things. Then you end up joining a sorority. The best thing, it has brought you everything positive your second semester. This is everything you wanted and you have four more years to enjoy all of it.

9. You're not even going to look at your final transcript

Do not stress about AP Calc. You still end with a 4.0 GPA. You did everything you were supposed to do.

High school prepared you to appreciate and enjoy what you wanted most back then. Syracuse University has opened so many doors for you. I am so proud of you for believing in yourself and making the right choice for you.

With happiness,

2nd Semester Sarah