Senate Passes Act That The Arts Are Considered Core Subjects

Arts receive attention in new education plan.

2038
Art Therapy Blog

On July 16, the United States Senate passed its bipartisan Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) reauthorization proposal, the Every Child Achieves Act (S. 1177), by a count of 81 to 17, according to a press release distributed by NAfME

This is a huge step for the students currently attending schools. This act allows any student from any school in the nation to learn the magic of Arts Education. Also with this step, the Senate has acknowledged that with the No Child Left Behind Act, the current school curriculum is narrowing its field and is actually dismissing Arts Education as a whole.

Chris Woodside, executive producer of NAfME is quoted in a press release saying, "More than 14,000 letters have been sent to Capitol Hill on behalf of music teachers and students."

This act was headed by the National Association for Music Education. NAfME advocates through all outlets for Arts Education. This association also provides resources for teachers and students wanting to major in Arts Education. With over 60,000 members to date, you can guarantee that they're the national voice for Arts Education today.

Keep up to date with NAfME on Facebook.