Credit: Art Therapy Blog
At University of Nevada, Reno

Senate Passes Act That The Arts Are Considered Core Subjects

Pin It

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

Arts receive attention in new education plan.

On July 16, the United States Senate passed its bipartisan Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) reauthorization proposal, the Every Child Achieves Act (S. 1177), by a count of 81 to 17, according to a press release distributed by NAfME

This is a huge step for the students currently attending schools. This act allows any student from any school in the nation to learn the magic of Arts Education. Also with this step, the Senate has acknowledged that with the No Child Left Behind Act, the current school curriculum is narrowing its field and is actually dismissing Arts Education as a whole.

Chris Woodside, executive producer of NAfME is quoted in a press release saying, "More than 14,000 letters have been sent to Capitol Hill on behalf of music teachers and students."

This act was headed by the National Association for Music Education. NAfME advocates through all outlets for Arts Education. This association also provides resources for teachers and students wanting to major in Arts Education. With over 60,000 members to date, you can guarantee that they're the national voice for Arts Education today.

Keep up to date with NAfME on Facebook.

Find this interesting?

Odyssey Ambassador and Full Time Dog Lover.

Never Miss A New Article

The Odyssey Email Newsletter sends you personalized recommendations of articles and videos.

Thanks for sharing! Would you like to follow Matthew Denney?