Finding motivation

9 Tips For Sparking Your Self-Motivation And Getting Things Done

You won't have to wait for the new year for a burst of motivation when you have these nine tricks!

55

We all know how frustrating it is to lose our motivation. Its happened to us all. But, these nine actions will teach you how to take control of your motivation so you can start reaching your goals ASAP.

1. Focus on the outcome.

Photo by Clark Tibbs on Unsplash

When the going gets tough, it is so easy to neglect our goals or take the easy road out of our commitments. But, when you feel your drive depleting, you have to keep your eyes on the prize. You can tap into that fuel you need to keep pushing forward when you shift your focus to the outcome and how great you'll feel once you accomplish your goals!

2. Find an accountability partner.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Sometimes we need an extra push to stay committed to our goals and that is OK. Whether you need someone to push you to get your butt to the gym or someone to keep you on track of your healthy eating habits, a committed accountability partner can ultimately be the key to reaching your goals.

3. Write down your goals.

Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Believe it or not, putting your goals down on paper can create a sense of accountability as well. And, if you're truly serious about your goals you should even share your vision with friends. The more you speak about your goals, the stronger your commitment will be to accomplish them (because let's face it, we don't like to let others down).

4. Eliminate your distractions.

Photo by John Matychuk on Unsplash

Whether it's toxic people who bring you down or the hours you've wasted scrolling through social media, do yourself the favor and get rid of your distractions ASAP! You'll notice how much more productive and optimistic you can be without these irrelevant interruptions.

5. Be brave.

Photo by Doran Erickson on Unsplash

Fear only represses you from achieving a happier and stronger version of yourself. Take daily steps to demolish your fears by asking yourself: "What would I do today, if I were not afraid?". By building a habit of this self-reflection you will empower yourself to visualize all the opportunities you have ahead of you.

6. Keep your faith high.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."-Charles R. Swindoll

Photo by Rachel Pfuetzner on Unsplash

Life is an emotional rollercoaster and that's no secret. We have to take the good with the bad, right? So although you aren't in control of what happens to you, you are in control of how you react to your circumstances. When times get tough, remember that they are temporary. Keep your head up and your faith strong!

7. Create daily disciplines.

Photo by Icons8 team on Unsplash

Do you believe that success is the accumulation of a few simple disciplines practiced every day? I believe it is. I know, from my own personal experiences, that our disciplines either make us or break us. Someone with the discipline to meal prep is going to have far more success with their healthy eating habits as opposed to someone who didn't prepare (and will probably end up in the fast food drive-thru line).

Our daily habits will undeniably shape the outcome of our lives. By building productive daily habits like healthy eating, exercising, or waking up punctually, you empower yourself to achieve your long-term goals.

8. Schedule time to take action.

Yep, I learned that the hard way.

With a busy schedule, it's easy to disregard opportunities for growth. If you don't have a to-do list or some form of written accountability, I can assure you that you won't have the time to make daily progress towards your goals. Whether your goal is to lose weight, earn a raise, or graduate within the next four months, keep yourself on track by scheduling small daily actions and you can take to make these goals a reality.

9. Raise your standards for yourself.

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

Unfortunately, it'll be much more difficult to accomplish and sustain the habits in tips 1-8 without developing a better mindset.

"When you change your mindset, you can change your life."

I whole-heartedly encourage you to grasp this concept and apply it to your everyday life. Change your self-talk. Identify your areas of weakness (don't be ashamed, we all have them) and focus on strengthening them. Read books or listen to audios on personal development. Each day, just take hold of the opportunities you have to get one step closer to your dreams.

I hope this article taught you at least one new activity that can help you spark your motivation!

Keep pressing forward. You will not achieve your goals overnight - maybe not even this year. But the only way you will not reach your goals is if you quit.