In 2019 We All Wish For Self- Improvement

In 2019 We All Wish For Self- Improvement, But For All Of Us, That Idea Is Slightly Different

Taking in the new year to better ourselves, expand what makes us who we are, is the best way to make the most of 2019.

128
personal picture

We cling to resolutions as affirmations of hope. Wishful thinking for a new year of transformation, love, money, and success. All common hopes and dreams, for a new year and a fresh start. Resolutions often fail. But what if I said that these hopes and dreams, they do not become a reality unless we are willing to dive into our past and see where we have went wrong previously?

Some do not carry the weight of a resolution past January 1st, that is okay. But for those of us who are so eager to make changes within this new year, lets talk! We often hear the discussion "New Year, New Me", and I am sure that we have all said it once or twice. My fellow dreamers, this is unrealistic and we must snap out of this clouded mindset.

Resolutions may begin and end with you, but they are not you. So I would rather say "New Year, Better Me." We all have qualities within us that bring out the best and worst versions of ourselves. In order to improve your lifestyle, relationships, and overall quality of life; you must be willing to recognize where and how you can improve yourself.

Self improvement, is my ultimate goal for 2019. It may sound like a "basic" resolution, however, it's an impactful one. I am 19 years old, I am filled with excitement and adventure. But when was the last time I have done something that genuinely fueled me? Made me feel like I am bettering myself and the world around me?

I noticed that 2018 was in fact a year of transformation for me. It was a period of harsh times, crawling in and out of the darkest places and depths of my own mind. However, it was the strength within myself to find and shed light all over again. 2019 I want to stay in the light. I am sure that this upcoming year will have its own versions of chaos, however, it is how we choose to handle these obstacles that create who we are.

January 1st, 2019 was already a beautiful day and start to my new year. The goal is to not overthink and to simply do! I have an old soul and an eager heart ready to see the world, take in it's beauty. Sadly, most of the time I do not allow this version of myself to be free. Page 1 of 365 of 2019, I released this part of myself.

Small little victories is all it takes to change yourself for the better. I hopped in the car with my best friends, went to the beach on a brisk winter day. Inhaled all the good to come and exhaled all the pain of the past. Basking in scenery and appreciating the earth for all of it's natural beauty.

Again, small but impactful. It felt good to not consider time and circumstance, forgetting restraints and doing something that made my heart happy. For me, self improvement means expanding your heart. Listening to it and allowing for it to guide you through life. It is your source of light and goodness within.

How do you expand or broaden your horizons? That is something that each individual must figure out on their own journey. To expand my heart, means showing someone kindness when they have not received it. To be forgiving of someones previous actions in anticipation for a better them. To travel to new places, meet new faces. To read and to become more knowledgable than I was before! Growing your heart and mind, year by year.

There is no need to cling to the idea of becoming a new you. Who you are already is more than enough, you cannot undo your past. But you can create a reality that is so full, all of the burden and mistakes of the past are forgiven. You can use those painful experiences as a way to better who you are. Or to maybe even touch someone else.

To those wishing for money, success, love; these all come in time but only when we are emotionally ready for them. Your longest, most precious commitment in this lifetime is YOU. Devote it to yourself, you actually owe it to yourself, to recognize the never-ending possibility of growth that you have within.

Resolutions may fail but only if we let them overshadow the real reason as to why we want to improve. Improve for ourselves, to expand our hearts and minds and to be better than we were yesterday. Stop dreaming and overthinking life; just simply do life. We only have one! Use 2019 as a year to better what makes you you, and take your past and use it, for it's your rocket fuel.