10 Self-Care Tips For When Everything Is Falling Apart

10 Self-Care Tips To Use When Everything Feels Like It's Falling Apart

While it may be OK not to be OK, here are some tips for when you're at rock bottom.

885

If you're like me, you sometimes have moments when it feels like everything that can possibly go wrong inevitably does. And, that can honestly be really frustrating when that happens. It can make you feel like you're about 10 inches tall, and your entire world is crumbling down around you.

While those moments don't last forever, making your way through them can be a challenge, at best, and feel like a monumental task, at worst.

In my life, I've dealt with what feels like more than my fair share of moments when everything in my life was falling apart. I've dealt with, and am still dealing with, leftover trauma from some really unpleasant life events. I've also been dealing with an eating disorder and making my way towards a place of recovery from that, as well.

Needless to say, I understand what it's like to move through hard seasons in life, and I wanted to share with you 10 self-care tips that I personally use when I'm dealing with moments when it feels like everything is falling apart.

1. Breathe. Seriously, just breathe.

As simple and to the point as this may sound, it's my very first go-to in times of high stress and trouble. I've found that if I can stop all of the anxious thoughts that come to my mind by calming myself down, to a point where I can focus on the in and out rhythm of my breathing, I'm usually OK.

2. Sing it out! 

This might sound totally ridiculous, but it always calms my brain down. When I can find a playlist that I love, and I can just start belting out whatever song comes on at the top of my lungs, I feel better.

3. Change your body temperature. 

This one might need a little explaining, but I've learned through regularly going to therapy that if you're really upset about something, doing something such as taking a hot shower or splashing your face with cold water helps to change your body temperature overall. This, in turn, will help you change your brain chemistry, and you'll most likely begin to feel at least a little bit better. I know if I'm really upset a hot shower always seems to make me feel a little bit better.

4. Find your comfy clothes. 

You know, those old, gray sweatpants that sit in your drawer that you dream about wearing because they're so comfy? Yeah, I'm talking about those. Whenever it feels like my world is crashing down around me, into my old pair of gray sweatpants I go.

5. Meditate. 

Meditation really does work wonders on your overall health. I find that, especially when I'm upset, while I'm practicing focusing on my breathing, I sometimes slip into a meditative state. That really helps calm my mind and put my anxieties at ease.

6. Write it out. 

Journaling really and truly can make a world of a difference when it comes to moving through difficult emotions. Journaling allows for a safe, unbiased, and judgment-free space to release all of the emotions and worries you might be feeling at the time.

7. Drink herbal tea. 

I swear by the therapeutic powers of chamomile tea, and I highly recommend trying some when it feels like everything is falling apart. It might sound silly, but I know for me, chamomile tea really helps to calm me down. That might work for you, as well.

8. Go for a walk. 

If you're in an area where it's safe to, I highly recommend going for a walk to clear your mind of what you're dealing with, as well. Movement releases endorphins, the happy chemical, so that's definitely worth a try if things are feeling like they're at rock bottom.

9. Talk to someone you trust. 

This might seem like a no-brainer, and for some, might actually be the first thing you try when things feel like they're falling apart. I know, for me, I hate feeling like I'm bothering someone, so unless I'm at a level 10 emergency state, I'll try things I can do by myself for myself first.

10. If you feel like you need to, seek professional help. 

If you're like me, you'll try everything you can to fix these rock bottom feelings by yourself before going to see a medical professional. There's nothing wrong with that.

But, if you're dealing with something serious and potentially life-threatening and dangerous, a medical professional should be one of the first people you contact. A medical professional who is compassionate and understanding can literally be a life-saver.