Self-Care V.S Self-Indulgence

Self-Care V.S Self-Indulgence

I think we need to start reevaluating what is means to have "self-care"

67

I've become increasingly frustrated over the past few months with how I use my time. Usually, after days of working on homework, I become tired and spend the weekend having "me-time" where I watch Netflix and eat junk food.

But maybe we need to start thinking about what self-care and time for yourself really is. In reality, we are indulging in our desires that can't be fulfilled when we are busy. Indulging in things that don't usually educate us, heighten or enrich us as a person, or attribute anything significant to our lives. I vote we start changing that. While there's nothing wrong with indulging once in a while, I think maybe we do it too much or think it's something we are constantly deserved to have.

I think our time to ourselves should be more focused towards things we are passionate about. Things that will help us get where we need to go in life while also having fun. I want to be a writer, and I barely ever write my own work. I want to be a published author yet I never let other people read my serious stuff because it's barely in its rough drafts. If you love something enough, finishing it will leave you feeling much better and more accomplished than sitting around and watching TV will.

I think maybe when we continuously reward ourselves with slump time, we acquire an excess of it and think we can do it for days on end. We are capable of so much more than we think we are, and if we can just get the drive to do it, we can. It seems scary at first, pursuing something you love because it scares you into thinking of the "what-ifs". My biggest one is "what-if" I start writing and find out I'm a bad writer? What then? But it isn't really about that. SO what if you're bad at what you love? You can't get any worse trying. And eventually, you'll get really, really good. I promise.