Self-Care In College Should Mean More Than Retail Therapy
Self Love

What self-care is and why it matters.

56

It seems to be that point in the year where people start getting run down... college students especially. It's either almost your spring break or you're just coming back for your vacation. The work is piling up, and you're searching for the light at the end of the tunnel. This is when it's most important to take time for yourself and give your mind a rest.

School is obviously important, and maintaining good grades is too, but so are you! Your grades aren't everything; your mental health is. Remembering to give yourself a chance to relax makes a world of difference. Sometimes we get so absorbed in things that we forget to take a step back. Remembering to practice self-care will help your energy and productivity levels stay much higher than when you work yourself down to the bone and then try to build yourself back up.

Self-care doesn't need to be buying yourself something, which seems to be a misconception in our world nowadays. It can be as simple as allowing yourself a chance to sleep in instead of getting up early to go to the library. It can also just be giving yourself a study break to go cook yourself a meal and watch a few episodes of your current Netflix obsession. It doesn't need to be too much time where you become more stressed afterward. It should just be something that gives you a little bit of time to clear your mind.

This sounds so simple and easy, but many times people forget to do it. I'm not perfect at keeping up with my self-care, but when I try a little harder to plan out little breaks, I find that I work harder in those shorter time periods so the break is deserved. I also notice that once I spend some time relaxing, it's easier for me to come back and work once I've relieved a bit of stress and given myself a little reboot.

Not only is taking time for yourself important for your mind, but it's also good for your body. When you aren't sleeping as well or eating well, your body becomes run down and it's easier to get sick. This is so common around midterms and finals week for college students, and I see it happen so often. Long hours in the library during the day with no real food, staying up through the night to cram...this affects the body and the mind. People forget you need good sleep and food to fuel your body, and when your body isn't getting that, it will show.

School is stressful, and I will not downplay that at all. But it's manageable if you really try. Whether you take a walk around just to get some air or give yourself an hour to just lie down and rest, it'll pay off. Your body and mind will both thank you.