Seeing Hamilton: An American Musical

Seeing Hamilton: An American Musical

Last weekend I saw Hamilton, here's what I think:

8
Seeing Hamilton: An American Musical
Genevieve Palabrica

When I first heard of Hamilton, it was during a car ride on my senior year in high school. My best friend played the song "Alexander Hamilton" with so much enthusiasm and love. Me being the driver, was not paying attention to the words, or the beat or anything about the song. I just nodded my head to whatever beat and safely drove us to school.

When I finally listened to the cast album, I was home alone blasting it through the speakers. I had the opportunity to take in the words and understand the story behind one of the founding fathers, Alexander Hamilton. My appreciation and love for this musical not only stemmed from the fact that I was a part of musicals in high school, but the main thing that I love about this musical is the proof that this country was built from hard working immigrants. I also became passionate of this musical due to the diversity that it promotes.

Fast forward to the day that I found out Hamilton will not only be performed in Broadway, but also in Chicago. That day I saw my shot and I took it. With this, I hinted to my family about how much I love Hamilton and how amazing it would be if I had the chance to see it. It took my family a while to catch on but they ended up with giving me the most perfect birthday gift.

Finally, as I sit on this train thinking back to the whole performance I wouldn't want to give away too much information but listening to the cast album over and over again is so different from seeing it live. It was so hard not to mouth the words or anticipate for what could happen, but to my Hamilton fans, take it all in. As the actors said my favorite lines it took my breath away, it is so different hearing it from the actors themselves. My dream of seeing Hamilton: An American Musical, was beyond from what I expected. Now, go tell your story.