The Secret Of Life

The Secret Of Life

Can one attribute really change your life?

14
The Secret Of Life
www.slatecommunication.com

One question I find myself asking often is what are the most important attributes to worry about in life? After asking myself this question for the past 15 years, going through several break ups and long friendships, working in several different jobs and communicating with individuals of all age groups, I finally came to the conclusion that one of the most important things in life is the way you communicate with others. Having effective communication skills can make or break friendships, relationships, jobs and ultimately has the ability to open paths for you throughout your life. When I say communication, I am referring to direct communication, not through texting or through another person, what is generally known as hearing something through the grapevine. Not only does effective communication benefit you, but it also benefits everyone else around you. How many times have you heard of people being injured due to a lack of communication? One common example of this is a lack of communication that can occur between providers during a surgery. Another example of how a lack of communication can alter an outcome is an argument with a friend or significant other. How many times have you had an argument, only to realize that after you communicate with the person directly, the story that you originally had in your head was completely wrong, and the argument is resolved within a few minutes? Over the last several years, I have learned that there really is no stupid question, and no one will ever know who you truly are if you don't communicate your thoughts and feelings to them. When everything is said and done, it is always much better to ask that question that you think may be stupid, than to continue believing something that could be incorrect. You might be wondering, how can communication open paths in your life? About a year ago to this day, I was applying to a program that was very important to me. One day, I ended up running into the person that was in charge of the particular program. I didn't realize that they were in charge until I engaged in a conversation with them. After talking for several minutes, they told me what their position was within the program. I spent the next 15-20 minutes talking with them about my concerns. We went over all of my strengths, and then we discussed my weaknesses. Several months later, I received my acceptance letter. Without that communication, I can't confidently say that my outcome would have turned out the same. Communication to me is without a doubt the secret of life, as well as the secret to success.