A Secondary Education Major in an Elementary School: How God Taught Me to Embrace the Unexpected

He knows what we need even when we don't... especially when we don't.

19
Wordpress

So I'm currently studying to be a high school English teacher and I'm so ready to be in my career, doing what I love and what I do best.

My school started as a teacher training school, and it's still well known for its incredible education program. At Winthrop, you can't walk 5 steps without running into an education major of some sort. There's a reason Winthrop pumps out teachers like a conveyor belt: if you come in as an education major, by the spring semester of your freshman year, you're already in your first class with fieldwork. My goal for this class was to be placed in a middle or high school, so I could be around the age group I want to teach, but to my dismay, my class was placed in an elementary school.

I'm a firm believer in God's will, His perfect timing, and the fact that He always knows what's best for us, but I still couldn't help but question why I was placed in an elementary school. I figured since I can't change this, I at least want an upper-level class. My belief was that anything below third grade is basically babysitting, and that's not at all what I want to do. Every student in every grade is exceptional, but I chose high school for a reason. I want to teach teenagers with advanced ideas, who have things to say, and who I can relate to and learn from.

My fear going into this elementary school was that I'd be placed in a kindergarten classroom and that my time would be wasted. Since these kids aren't anywhere near the age I want to teach, I thought this field experience would end up being pointless, but oh how wrong I was.

On my first day in the field, I found out I was placed not only with fourth graders but in an English/Language Arts class. I wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but this was about as close to high school English as you're going to get in an elementary school. I was instantly reminded of how good our God is and how His plan is so much greater than ours. What we think is best for us often times is not. He knows what we need even when we don't... especially when we don't.

As the semester comes to a close and I have only two more visits to my beloved fourth-grade class left, I reflect on all that God has done in this short amount of time. This class I'm in requires only 20 hours in the field for the semester, which isn't much compared to higher level field placements, but these almost 20 hours have been life-changing for me. I don't think this experience will make me want to switch to elementary education, because my heart is still with teenagers and high school level literature, but this experience has shown me that you can learn a lot from anybody, no matter what age.

I've learned that my heart is mainly with teens, but it's really just with people in general. At the elementary school, I've been working with one specific student, and it pains me to think about when I have to leave her. I've learned so much about her and have enjoyed the time I've gotten to spend getting to know her, completing activities with her, and observing her interact in the class. This nine-year-old girl has taught me to take things as they come, and I thank God for the lessons He is teaching me through her.

The point I'm trying to make here is that life throws a lot of unexpected experiences your way. You may get upset, bitter, or question God, but I want you to know that it's all for a reason. That period of questioning and confusion is real and valid, but God does know best. He surprises us daily. Things we'd never think of doing, saying, or being end up being amazing and frankly, what's best for us. I ask you to trust in God's plan and embrace the unexpected.