7 Things We Know About Season 2 Of Netflix's 'The Haunting of Hill House', Set To Release This Fall

2020 is about to get a lot scarier.

855

Vanity Fair just released an exclusive first look at 'The Haunting of Hill House' sequel, 'The Haunting of Bly Manor', and fans are already raving at the sneak peek pictures (featuring hidden ghosts) and all the inside details.

With the show's release right around the corner, set to release sometime this fall, and the impending doom America is feeling because of the pandemic, the new season's debut couldn't have come at a better time.

So, without further ado, here's what we know about 'The Haunting of Hill House' second season, 'The Haunting of Bly Manor'.

This season is based on the novella "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James with subtle hints of other supernatural stories

The plot will resemble that of the 1898 short novel, which was written about a young woman who moved to the country to take care of two children who lost their parents.

The woman eventually, after beginning to see entities and finding out the horrific history of the estate, becomes convinced that the property is haunted.

The producers, Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy, also said that they pulled inspiration from two other works by Henry James, 'The Jolly Corner,' about a frightening doppelgänger, and 'The Romance of Certain Old Clothes', about two sisters and a chest full of old dresses.

The story will take place in the 80's in a beautiful and welcoming manor

In 'The Hauntings' first season, Hill House was described as looking gothic and frightening, but this seasons' Bly Manor will be the exact opposite, being described as bright and beautiful, actually making the main character feel welcomed.

This is purposeful and lines with the plot of the rest of the season: everything and everyone is wearing a mask, hiding their biggest secrets.

The theme of this season will vary from the first

Flanagan said that Hill House was more of a story about a family's struggle and trauma, but this season will focus more on the tragedy of star-crossed romance and broken hearts.

He says that there are three main love stories in the newest season, each of which has a dark edge to them.

Some of the cast from Hill House are returning, but not as their original characters

Victoria Pedretti, who played Nell in Hill House, is returning to Bly Manor, but this time as an American tutor named Dani Clayton, who has been hired to care for the two orphaned children.

Henry Thomas, who played the father of the five children in season one, is now costarring as the rich uncle of the kids. Oliver Jackson-Cohen, the youngest brother and an addict in Hill House is returning as Peter Quint, a business associate of the Uncle who likes to take things from Bly Manor, whether he has permission or not.

Kate Siegel, who was Theo, the psychic sister in the original season, is also returning, but as a character that is still unknown to fans.

Much like Hill House, Bly Manor will feature hidden ghosts in some scenes

Producer Flanagan said that one thing he and the audience really enjoyed from season one was the stoic and silent entities that were hidden in different scenes throughout the season.

Unlike Hill House, the hidden figures in Bly Manor have meaning and will be more like puzzles. He says that by the end of this season, the audience will know who the figures are and their purpose, which we weren't told in Hill House.

There are many newcomers to this season

Benjamin Evan Ainsworth will be playing the fraught young boy Miles, one of the orphaned children, and Amelie Bea Smith will play his happy sister, Flora. Amelia Eve, will be playing Jamie, a confident and skeptic groundskeeper. Rahul Kohli, who will play the resident chief Owen.

Tahirah Sharif will play Rebecca Jessel, the children's previous governess, this season. T'Nia Miller will be playing the manager of Bly Manor, Hannah Grose.

Flora's dollhouse will play a key role in the plot

As seen in some of the exclusive pictures on Vanity Fair's article, there are many dolls in the basement of Bly Manor. These are Flora's, one of the orphaned children, dolls. Flanagan says that he believes dolls are a way for children to have some control over themselves and other people.

While some would say that's innocent, he thinks that there is a darker side to it, and those darker themes; control over someone, objectifying people, and ownership, play a big part in this season.

Flanagan feels that if the audience pays attention to Flora and her dolls, they will have more insight as to what is happening and why it's happening in Bly Manor.

It sounds like Bly Manor, much like Hill House, won't be disappointing and will have fans afraid to watch alone. If 2020 wasn't scary enough already, it's about to be, and honestly, we're all here for it.