Searching For A Job Or Internship?

Searching For A Job Or Internship?

Startups and nonprofits are sometimes underestimated, but you should consider applying to some!
73

In 2015, I was lucky enough to do both. I didn’t really try too, it just kind of happened after submitting my resume to hundreds of companies over the year and I’m extremely thankful that I had those opportunities. So here's why I think you should give it a try:

1. The companies aren’t always established.

Which isn't a bad thing. It means that you get to see how companies are established in the first place, which isn't exactly something we all get to see as interns or entry level employees. It's valuable knowledge that you'll be able to use for the rest of your career.

2. Fundraising is fun!

This isn't your fundraising from your pre-college years. These are real and fun events put on by the companies that people attend and you'll probably get to help plan it in some way! If not, you'll at least get to attend and enjoy the work you're coworkers have pulled off. Sadly, you probably will not be tossing the earnings around after it's all said and done though.

3. Your superiors are going to be excited about your ideas.

Usually these companies are looking for new and fresh ideas to try out and you're new and fresh to the company. Therefore, if you have an idea, speak up! The worst they can say is no about trying it out but they'll be pretty impressed that you want to put your ideas out there either way.

4. Flexible hours.

Now this isn't always the case but sometimes 9-5 isn't the norm at these places and working from home is a thing. So if you're lucky enough to sleep in from time to time or get off early, relish the times but don't take advantage of it.

5. Business professional dress is usually not a requirement.

Business casual usually isn't a requirement either. I worked at two nonprofits and two startups this past year and all four told me to wear jeans. Jeans. Never in all my business classes did they tell me this would be a possibility, but it is. You may even see the CEO of your company in a t-shirt some days, which I did. This dress code can make for a more relaxed environment but don't let it make you lazy. Wear a button up with those jeans if the t-shirt makes you a little too comfortable at work.

6. You learn so much!

Yes you are hired for a specific role, so in that case you of course are learning a lot. At these types of companies though, sometimes the staff numbers are limited and you end up doing some odd end jobs that you usually wouldn't be asked to do. I'm not talking about getting coffee or making copies but let's say they know you know how to work photoshop- you may be designing a poster or five.

7. It’s a resume building position.

Recruiters will ask you about the position and you'll have at least one or two examples from the job to talk about and show how much you truly learned.

8. Depending on the size of the companies, you can get to see all the inter-workings of the company.

You'll probably work in close quarters so you'll get a glimpse as to what everyone is doing. This is a way to see how what everyone is does comes together.

9. You’ll learn some things about budgeting, and whats worth spending money on for your business.

These types of companies are usually trying to raise money for themselves so you may get a little bit of a peak inside of their budgeting. Even if it's minimal information, it's still information you've probably never heard and it can be transferred over to your own budgeting.

10. It’s experience.

Experience is experience. Whether or not it ends up on your resume in the end, you will still learn something that will be used in your career for the rest of time and that is knowledge that is invaluable. And hey, you may never work for a company like it again.