8 Things To Consider When Searching For A Student Apartment

8 Things to Consider When Searching For A Student Apartment

It can be difficult. Here's a guide!

18

Searching for your first apartment as a college student is fun and exciting, but also very nerve-wracking. There are countless options with a wide variety of amenities, locations, and prices. Finding out exactly which one is best for you can be difficult. Keep these things in mind when comparing apartments!

1. Distance from campus.

Make sure you know the distance you want to be from campus. Do you want to be able to walk? What is the parking situation like on campus? Do you want to be around other students a lot or do you want to be further off campus?

2. Quality of the place.

Are you looking for a luxury apartment or just a room? Figure out what amenities you "can't live without."

3. PRICE.

Obviously, the price is a big factor in finding out what apartment is best for you! You can't live somewhere you can't afford, but also don't want to live in an absolute dump. Finding something that is within your budget is probably the most important.

4. Length of lease.

Is the lease during the summer too? Will you have to pay full price even if you aren't living there? Are going to school for just the Fall or how long?

5. What people currently living there think.

This is hands-down THE BEST way to find out what you're getting from the apartment. Learn about the positives and the negatives that you can't find on the apartment's website!

6. Do you need roommates?

If you are going to rent an apartment and expect to be put in an apartment with random roommates, then look for an apartment that does extensive roommate matching. Basically, this means that you fill out a longer questionnaire that asks about your habits and interests to match you with someone similar!

7. How many people you're going to be living with.

If you want to live in a single apartment, with one other person or the normal 4-person apartment. This is a good way to narrow down the complexes you're looking at!

8. Accommodations.

Some examples are needing a special needs/bus route.

Do you have any special needs such as a wheelchair ramp? Do you need to have close parking? Do you need to be along the bus route?

9. Additional costs.

Are the utilities included? Do you have to pay for parking?

All of these costs add up and contribute to the total cost of your apartment! Pay attention to these hidden costs and additional fees.