Scrivener Is Your New Best Writing Friend

The Scrivener writing word processor program is an organizational and first draft catch-all for much creative writing from prose to scripts!

9

I discovered Scrivener through some classmates in my creative writing MFA program and it has some truly amazing features every type of writer can use. Scrivener is a word processor designed for authors. Created by the Literature & Latte software company, Scrivener is advertises as "Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop." The program stays true to what the website goes on to say that "Scrivener won't tell you how to write—it simply provides everything you need to start writing and keep writing." Intrigued yet? Scrivener isn't as mysterious as it seems and it's interface isn't hard to get used to with features like character boards, a drag-and-drop mechanic for story sections so you can easily re-arrange, and multiple exporting formats.

When I went to File to start a new project I chose the fiction layout of Novel (With Parts), which automatically loaded up the layout in the photo above (you can see official layouts photos on their website, too). Having a chapter then scene break down is really great for when your work starts getting long, especially if you're workshopping the story or sending out parts to be edited. The start up screen for this template boasts that the template and layout is customizable, as well. The board, such as character, places, and research, are designed like sticky notes on a cork board and made me feel at home inside the program. Within even one tab, like manuscript, part, chapter, or any others you may create, you have multiple choices on how you want to build and organize the space as you can toggle between a free write screen, its own cork board, and a list-like function that I'd personally used for outlining or as a chapter list.

There's in depth tutorials inside the program and on their YouTube channel, which gives me the sense that the developers really care about the author process. if you're looking for a place to write scripts, they have six preset layout options from what I saw, from BBC radio to comics. There's also templates for lecture, recipes, and research proposals to name a few more. A Standard Licence for the program on Windows or MacOS is $49, or $41.65 for students and academics, and $19.99 for the iOS app and you can give it a try first with the 30 days use free trial download from their website.