10 Scriptures For When You're Sad

10 Scriptures For When You're Sad

In this world it's easy to feel sad or depressed, so look for towards the truth.

99
10 Scriptures For When You're Sad
Julie Myers

Scripture is a powerful tool for fighting against the evils of this world that overcome us. It offers nothing but truth, wisdom, and knowledge in countless situations. The advice it gives is timeless. Regardless of the situation, there will be a verse to offer help. A problem that many of us face is discouragement in various situations, but no matter the version, the verse rings true. Here are a few verses to read and remind yourself of when you're feeling sad or depressed.

1. Philippians 4:8

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things."

We often get caught up in the negatives of the world. It's easy to focus on what goes wrong as opposed to what goes right. However, when we focus on the negative, that is what we will draw. We will become accustomed to our default way of thinking being negative. Even chemically our brains will change and rewire to thinking negatively over time if we allow it to go on too long. Try to focus on the good things about the world. Train your brain to think positively. Rewire it.

2. Psalm 34:17

"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles."

When you cry out for help, God is listening, and He is there to help. You are not struggling alone.

3. Psalm 40:1-3

"I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in Him."

It can be hard to be patient when you're in times of trouble. If you keep the faith, the Lord will deliver you from the hard times. He will bring you out of the slimy pit that you feel stuck in. He will help you to stand again. Not only will He help you stand again, but He will help you to sing again. He will bring you not only safety but genuine happiness as well. Keep the faith.

4. 1 Peter 5:7

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

He cares to hear about your troubles. Even if you're ranting to Him about Him, He wants to hear it. It takes the load off of your shoulders and puts it on His. He can handle it.

5. Romans 8:38-39

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Whether or not you believe in God, He loves you completely unconditionally. Regardless of anything that you have done, that might be making you upset, or if you feel like you're hard to love, or if you feel like you're worthless, He loves you dearly. With a love like that, you have to understand that He always has your best interest in mind, and He will put Himself through anything to make sure that you will be okay. After all, He sent His own son to die on the cross. What greater love is there than that?

6. 1 Peter 4:12-13

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you might be overjoyed when His joy is revealed."

It can bring us down when we experience trials. Take heart in knowing that Christ will reveal Himself in the best of ways and save you from your pain. Just keep your faith in Him as you endure on because He will show.

9. Psalm 34:18-19

"The Lord is close the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all."

In your sufferings, God is right beside you the entire time. You are not alone, despite how you might feel. He is moving towards your deliverance and working diligently on your behalf.

10. Isaiah 42:3

"A bruised reed He will not break, and a faintly burning wick He will not quench; He will faithfully bring forth justice."

This is a perfect description of depression. You feel like you're almost entirely extinguished or broken, almost to the point of no return. God understands and does not judge you for how you're feeling. He will heal you and bring you back to life. He will bring you justice if you have been wronged.

Remind yourself of these verses each time you're feeling depressed or sad. If they mean something else to you or speak to you in a new way, embrace it. Memorize your favorite one to remind yourself when you don't have a Bible with you. Pray about these verses. Remember -- the future is bright, and there is so much joy to be had.