10 Scriptures For When You're Conflicted

In this world it's easy to feel confused, so look for towards the truth.

5430
Julie Myers

Scripture is a powerful tool for fighting against the evils of this world that overcome us. It offers nothing but truth, wisdom, and knowledge in countless situations. The advice it gives is timeless. Regardless of the situation, there will be a verse to offer help. A problem that many of us face is confusion in various situations, but no matter the version, the verse rings true. Here are a few verses to read and remind yourself of when you're feeling confused or conflicted.

1. 1 Corinthians 14:33

"For God is not a God of confusion, but of peace."

Anything that is confusing or scary is not coming from God. Only peace and truth come from Him. Remember that and hold fast to what is good and right, and if it isn't coming from God, then it's neither of those things.

2.1 John 4:1

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

The best way to cast out any confusion or anxieties is to compare it to what the truth is, because the truth is not negotiable or subject to change, and the truth comes strictly from God. If something is happening that isn't lining up with what's true, then it isn't from God, and therefore it isn't for you or your benefit. It's a ploy to destroy you. Ignore it and hold tight to God in the trial.

3. Jeremiah 17:9

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"

Often the things we feel are in our hearts rather than our heads. Feelings, however, can be fleeting and unreliable because they are constantly changing. Your feelings can get in the way of logical thought. If you are confused or conflicted about a decision because it makes you feel one way but it truly seems to be something else entirely, take a step back and compare it to the truth. The truth never changes.

4. 1 Corinthians 31:12

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

Maybe your confusion stems from not understanding why something is happening or has happened to you. We can't see into the future. We don't know what is to come, but pure clarity will come with time. It will all make sense one day, but it's best not to let those troubles concern you until the day that it will become clear.

5. 1 Peter 5:8

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Confusion is chaos. It's a thousand jumbled up thoughts and hours of overthinking, trying to understand something that maybe we just aren't meant to right now. Right now, you may never find an answer that will actually satisfy you. However, if you remain caught up in this mess, then you're opening up the perfect opportunity for the enemy to come in and create an even bigger mess from before. Confusion doesn't come from what's good. Don't let simple things distract you from what's important.

6. Proverbs 3:5

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding."

I can admit that I am a person that can become obsessed with finding an answer or reason to everything. I feel that I have to understand it before I move on from it. Yet sometimes the answer isn't what you need, or at least not yet. Trust that you'll get the answer when you need it and if you need it. Trust that whatever mess you're in, you'll be carried out of it. Trust that you will find clarity soon, but to have patience in the timing.

7. 2 Corinthians 11:14

"And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

When you're setting out to do what you're meant to do, sometimes the devil will put doubts and confusion in your mind to prevent you from carrying it out. He will invoke fear as well. Be careful to differentiate between what thoughts are the truth and what thoughts are being misconstrued.

8. 2 Corinthians 10:5

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

We let our imaginations get the best of us often. We dream up scenarios and imagine things that didn't actually happen. We connect dots that aren't even meant to be connected just to fit our own narratives. Stick to what you know is true, then make your thoughts line up with it. Don't create chaos from nothing.

9. James 1:5

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

If you are seeking to find answers and you know that you won't find much rest without them, reach out to God. Pray about it. He knows all and will help you find order in the confusion. He will give you wisdom where you need it.

10. 2 Timothy 2:7

"Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything."

The Lord will give you answers where you seek them. He will never give you anything but the truth. He will not try to confuse you, He will not add more to the mess, He will not try to give your riddles and unsolvable puzzles. He will give you peace and wisdom during these times. Seek Him.

Remind yourself of these verses each time you're feeling afraid. If they mean something else to you or speak to you in a new way, embrace it. Memorize your favorite one to remind yourself when you don't have a Bible with you. Pray about these verses. Remember -- the future is bright, there is so much joy to be had, there is nothing to fear, do not let anger get the best of you, and hold on hard to the truth in the midst of confusion.