Science is in fact, Real News
Politics

Science is in fact, Real News

"I read the Constitution of the United States, and the word 'environmental protection' does not appear there, I don't see where it's sanctioned. I think it should go away."-H. Sterling Burnett, the Heartland Institute

15
Science is in fact, Real News
nbcnews.com

Last Saturday was Earth Day, the one day a year dedicated to reminding us that we need this planet in order to survive and so we better start taking care of it. Even though environmental protection is something that is becoming increasingly political with the supposed 31% defunding of the Environmental Protection Agency and the March for Science and the March for Climate Change in retaliation to lack of governmental support, it is extremely inspiring to see so many people devoted to protecting our planet, making a push to make every day Earth Day.

With the leaders of the current administration still believing climate change isn't real, now it is more important than ever to protect and promote science. Another thing that bothers me in our society is the amount of people that truly believe science is just "liberal nonsense". Really? Is it really? The medicine you take for your back problems? Science. The power switches, light sources, and literally all the technology you touch in one day? Science. The vaccine you took to avoid polio? Science. X-rays? Science. Driving a car? Science. The therapist that helped you through your midlife crisis? Also a form of science.

Genuinely everything we do in the world involves science so it is extremely difficult for me to try to understand that there are politicians that just truly seem to be anti-science. As users of this Earth, it is our responsibility to maintain it. If we want to continue as a species, we are going to have to at least act like we care about it. A representative for the conservative public policy think tank, "The Heartland Institute", said "I read the Constitution of the United States, and the word 'environmental protection' does not appear there, I don't see where it's sanctioned. I think it should go away."

I'm sorry, what? Are you genuinely trying to say that we should get rid of environmental protection measures all together? We should stop regulating the pollution and mistreatment of the environment (IN WHICH WE LIVE IN) by corporations just because it is too much of a hassle?

I THINK NOT. Remember what else the Constitution said? That only white, land owners could vote? We've come a pretty far way from that so I don't believe this logic holds up. Also, not to mention the fact that it has been frequently discussed amongst political scientists that the Constitution was written to be malleable. The Founders knew there would be major changes to the document, that is why it is so vague.

Personally, I disagree with the idea that measures to protect the environment are too much of a burden on businesses. There is too much at risk for us not to care about the planet we live on. Pollution is one of the largest killers worldwide, affecting over 100 million people. If you live in an area with high levels of pollution, there is a 20% higher risk of cancer. It is estimated that 40% of our lakes in this country are too polluted for aquatic life and swimming. Not to mention that 1.2 TRILLION gallons of waste are dumped into US water every year. ALSO, while Americans only make up approximately 5% of the global population, we use 25% of the world's resources. Can you honestly tell me you don't see a problem here?

So what can we do to help reduce our carbon footprint and leave a healthier mark on the world?

These are just a few tips on how to make an impact (or less of one) on our Earth. It is up to us to protect it, our future generations will thank us for it.