It took me a long time to adjust to life in the South. Actually, I probably still haven't. Coming from New Mexico, going to college in North Carolina was certainly a change. I got to meet new people, try new food, and be exposed to a new way of life.
Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but the South truly is one in a million. There's nowhere like it, and I know I'll miss a few things when I leave.
1. They don't like vegetables.
I eat one carrot and suddenly I'm a health nut.
2. Monogrammed EVERYTHING.
I really don't understand the incessant need to monogram literally everything. Bags, blankets, umbrellas, cars. It never ends.
3. A "hot minute" means a long time.
This one took me a good year to understand. I don't get it, but if someone says I'll help you in a 'hot minute', you're better off just doing it yourself.
4. If you don't wear big T-shirts and norts, you're trying too hard.
The bigger, the better.
Yes, hushpuppies have their own point because I never knew about them growing up. Coming to NC, I have probably gained 10 pounds just in hushpuppy weight. I'm not mad about it.
6. Country music is the only way to get turnt on a Saturday night.
The amount of bars I've gone to cranking Country music is too dang high.
7. "Bless her heart" is NOT a compliment.
Especially if it's said with a smile. Terrifying.
8. Sweet tea.
The South knows how to make it right.
9. People love riding on the back of a pickup.
In New Mexico, people love stacking anything they can into their trucks- mattresses, dogs, random pieces of wood. In the South, it's more just how many people you can fit in one vehicle without anyone falling out the back.
10. Everyone has a different name for their Grandma.Giphy
Meemaw. Mimi. G-ma. Granny. It's hard to keep track.
11. "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" are said more than please and thank you.Giphy
I have never called anyone sir in my entire life.
12. Everyone is way too nice.
Seriously, I'm like the devil compared to these people.
In all seriousness, I love the South. It's unique and wonderful and filled with good food. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once I leave. Probably just eat hushpuppies and cry.