How School Shootings Affect Students

Throughout the past year students and people all over world have been affected by the alarming amount of school and university shootings. The thought of even walking to class and getting an education puts people on edge. Two week's ago week, Monday, Oct. 5, put all of Philadelphia’s students in fear. An email was sent to Temple students warning them of a threat of violence that was posted online just days after the shooting at Oregon Community College. The next day, Tuesday, October 6, The Community College of Philadelphia was put on lock down because of an alleged gunman on campus. Friday, Oct. 9, the news informed the world of a shooting that occurred at Northern Arizona University.

After the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, some schools across the country took extreme caution and installed metal detectors and security cameras, banned backpacks and had police spread out throughout hallways. The massacre that occurred at Columbine was devastating and changed the nation. Some schools learned how to protect themselves without the extreme security, like having highly alert faculty, staff and students.

Mass school shootings have a profound affect the community and schools have taken new measures to increase communication among students, students and teachers regarding violence and threats. Open communication and reporting information about anything that could be a potential threat has helped prevent school attacks. Schools have also increased their awareness buy being more observant and paying closer attention to unusual behavior.

The Obama administration wants to create secure schools by improving the education and getting kids more involved in their school work and the school community. Money for a school counseling grant program increased since Columbine from $52 million compared to $20 million when the program was first funded in 2000.

I am not one to live in fear, but the affect that these events have had on myself and my fellow classmates, makes that very hard. It was difficult walking to class Monday morning, scared that something might possibly happen to my friends or me. That is not the way it’s supposed to be; I am supposed to feel safe while getting an education, not anxiously waiting for class to be over so I can hurry home. It is not fair to my family to have to worry and be concerned about my safety at a place where I am supposed to be growing, maturing and learning. This is the first step in our lives as independent people and it is a true shame that my fellow peers and I are afraid of such a horrific and selfish act of violence, such as a shooting, happening while trying to grow as people.

I hope one day we can live peace and not fear for our lives while trying to get an education.