School Shooting Once Again
Politics

School Shooting Once Again

Are we really already desensitized to what is happening to us, America?

20
School Shooting Once Again
iStock by Getty Images

I don't remember a day of peace anymore. A day where there is no "bad" news on the TV or any other social media. No negativity in sight.

Let's talk about something no one seems to mention anymore. Are we really tired of that topic? Are we really already desensitized to what is happening to us, America? School shootings have got to stop! Why are they still happening? What is wrong with the system? How can we stop them? Are we doing everything that needs to be done? Are we doing everything we can to stop this horrific broken record?

This past week there was yet another elementary school shooting. I. Am. Tired. Of. This. We should be thinking about these questions and coming up with solutions, not excuses anymore. It is either a misunderstood teenager with a mental illness and some type of trauma or some adult who is sick as well. I am not going to try and make the distinctions between all the different shooters and their backgrounds. They are too great in similarities and differences. I will, however, emphasize on one main similarity that they all have; the accessibility to guns. Each and every one of the shooters had an easy access to guns. Be it from their home or from a gun store, there wasn't much trouble in obtaining one. I am completely biased when I talk about guns.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me explain why. I won't give a long explanation, just a short one and straight to the point. They are useless. In my opinion, the only individuals who should have guns are no one. In my own perfect world, guns would not exist but since they do, and I have to be a tad bit realistic, I would prefer that they stay in the hands of people who are trained and trusted to use them. Let us say the military and the police force?

I do not believe that it is, although written in the Constitution, a right for us. It is more of a privilege and one that is often taken advantage of. With that being said, I disagree with the gun control laws and would like to see them change. I know that it is far from happening, but I would one day hope to see a radical change where it is actually illegal to own a gun. I know that it's a crazy dream, one which may never come true, but a girl can dream! I, at least, would like to see the laws make it harder for individuals to obtain these killing machines.

When there is a reoccurring problem, let us say car accidents, laws changed. They became stricter and the punishments for breaking the law became dreadful. Wearing a seatbelt, no talking on the phone, no texting, no drunk driving, speed limits are just some examples of changes that were made within the law. Although they are not always followed by some people they were made and carried out by most of the population. All I want is to see the same thing done with gun control.

We don't have the answers to why shooters choose to do such horrific acts. We may never fully understand them even when they leave a manifesto, youtube videos or letters explaining why. What we can do is lower their chances in doing so. Lower their accessibility to such weapons that can cause so much damage and pain. School shootings have got to stop. The same with mall shootings, movie theater shootings, or any other form of mass shootings. They shouldn't be something that reappears in the media over and over again. It shouldn't be something that we no longer see as a big deal because of how many times it happens. It shouldn't be something that we are tired of hearing or talking about. We shouldn't give up on humanity and if we can't call for a better way to carry out gun control let us at least, if not at the same time, tackle the reason as to why there are so many people losing their minds.

Is it our fault as a country? What else are we doing wrong? We need to be better. We need to do better. Soon is too late, we need to do it now.