Eastern Michigan University Cancels Concert Because Of Drug Complaints

It's about the music, not the drugs.

7
www.michigan.org

Eastern Michigan University recently cancelled an electronic dance music (EDM) concert they were supposed to host due to complaints of potential drug use. The stigma that surrounds the EDM or rave culture is that those who come to these festivals do so to abuse drugs and escape reality. But can’t that be said about most music genres as well?

Christopher Petrat a resident from Kinde, Michigan said that drugs are associated with any type of music but he has never used illegal drugs when attending festivals.

“Many of us just love the rush of the music, some of us are trying to discover new sounds and techniques,” Petrat said. “Why an experience like this would be taken away due to societal stereotypes is beyond belief.”

Some of the festivals that have come to center the EDM culture are the Electric Zoo, Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC), and Ultra. Michigan also hosts two very large festivals as well like the Electric Forest in Rothbury, or Detroit’s very own, The Movement.

An anonymous source said they used to be one of those people that would go to the festivals and take drugs.

“I eventually grew out of that, and I was always there for the music and the experience. In the last few years I've been to UMF, and back to EDC and I did absolutely no drugs. And honestly, I wished I had done it that way all along. I remembered everything. I realized I wasn't experiencing the festivals, I was experiencing the drug”, said the source. “I’ve always been involved for the experience and the music, but it seems as though the drugs go hand in hand. I guess I just got to a point to where I found the drugs unnecessary.”

Marc Moninski from Detroit said he likes to play techno, house and drum and bass when he works.

“I’ve been to festivals and sometimes I have used drugs but it wasn’t because I was there and that was the thing to do. I enjoy the music and sometimes you bump into certain people and they may have something to share but it always has been completely recreational use, ultimately I was there for the music and you meet some really cool people”, said Moninski. “I also listen to EDM when I work, sometimes it is nice being able to vibe to music that doesn’t have words.”

On the other hand, those who are not part of EDM culture choose not to go the festivals simply because they don’t like the music.

Royal Oak resident Joseph Warden said he doesn’t like that kind of music and went on to parody the music with, “untz, untz, untz.”

“I don’t care for summer music festivals that much”, said Warden. “I don’t like being around that many people in the heat, if it’s a fall festival then maybe I might consider.”

Heather Buschlen of Elkton, Michigan said she also doesn’t care for the music.

“As a teenager I liked EDM music but I grew out of it as I grew older and my taste for different types of music changed too”, said Buschlen.

Warren resident Steve Hinds said that it’s no secret that drugs are associated with EDM but drugs are not all that EDM is about.

“From the hippies at Woodstock to the ravers at D.E.M.F., drugs and music go hand in hand, but I’m not saying that everyone that loves a specific genre of music is on drugs. Many young kids are attracted to the EDM culture because of the drugs and it's ‘the cool thing to do these days’ and that's why EDM is getting a bad reputation, because young kids who want to have a good time end up taking some drug from a complete stranger not really knowing exactly what it is and next thing they know they are in the hospital”, said Hinds.

Hinds, who has been going to festivals and raves since 2000, said that it’s a very sad situation because doing drugs is not what it’s all about.

“First and foremost it's about the love of the music. For most of the people who are still going or use to go to EDM parties it’s about the feeling of belonging”, Hinds said. “In the EDM family it's supposed to be about one love and openly accepting everybody because of their differences. The reason why I still go out to the festivals and parties is for one simple reason; the love of the music.”