Back to School Checklist: College Edition

I had three months to do these things, but of course I waited until the second week in August to get started, and I know I'm not the only one.

4

It's only the second week of August, but that also means it's basically time to go back to campus. This week we've got the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (which exists in a time vacuum all its own), then next week I'm training my replacement at work, and that Friday I'm heading out for the week-long trip back to school.

This also means it's time to start on that huge summer to-do list I made back during finals. Things that, of course, can only be done in my home state and must be done before I go back to school for whatever reason. Procrastinators, listen up: Time to actually do the things you had three months to do, or this next semester is not going to be very kind.

First things first, time for that checkup you've been putting off. Initially, I was going to just go in for a med check, which is scheduled for about 15 minutes, takes maybe 5 minutes total (sans waiting room time), and costs a couple hundred dollars. I've actually had this scheduled for a few weeks now, even if it is something I should've done in June.

Next one is pretty important too. If you need your driver's license renewed, do it! Mine expires in a few months, while I'm off at school, and in that time I'll have turned 21. This is important because I rely on driving, and also because you need a valid ID to buy alcohol (and most people I've met in NY think the South Dakota licenses look fake anyway, so make sure it's legit).

Get your oil changed if you're driving to school. Please. You really, really don't want to have to call your parents when you're a thousand miles away to tell them something's wrong with your car and, what? What do you mean did I check the oil?

Still on the car thing, make sure you've got quarters. Like, a lot of quarters. Fill up your cup holder with quarters. As a South Dakota native, I had never used a toll road until I drove to New York, and it's easier for everyone when you start with a wealth of quarters. Not to mention the fact that you'll be happy to have the laundry money once you get back to school.

Speaking of laundry, do it. I'm fine with chores, doing dishes, cleaning. Doing my laundry is the thing that I let pile up. I did this one already, and I'm pretty proud. It took five loads and was probably the second time I've done laundry. But. Do it, before it costs you money again.

Besides the quarters, make sure you have cash. And alert your bank that you'll be traveling and then at school. What would suck more than pulling into a hotel after eight hours of driving just to be told your card's been declined? I'm sure a lot of things would suck worse, but I would still cry.

Get those recipes from your mom, the ones you had her cook right away for you when you got home, the ones you get homesick for. In your last week at home, get a couple of cooking lessons.

Last but not least: go buy and hide some birthday gifts. This is something I never think of until halfway through a semester, but if you have siblings or a parent hitting a milestone birthday, have a present already hidden away for them, wrapped, and you won't have to worry about shopping or shipping in November. Just call 'em up and say, hey, go look under my bed!

I'm sure there are a dozen things I'm forgetting, but hopefully, this fills in the cracks for someone. If I'm missing anything glaringly obvious, please tell me. I'm very bad at moving.