When High Point University Becomes Your Second Home

High Point University, you really are my home.

27

Moving away from home for school can be daunting. You don't know anything about how your new life is going to play out. Who will your friends be? How will your new routine play out? And most importantly-- did you find your second home?

If all goes as planned, the answer to that final question is yes!

High Point University has become my second home, so much so that I have started to refer to it as home. In the first month that I have been here, I have made my own life here. High Point University has become more than just a place I chose to study at two months ago, but my own domain.

1. You have new "hometown favorites"

All those little things that you daydream about from your hometown have been replaced by much loved things at school. My beloved breakfast sandwiches from The Bakery and boneless wings from The Point are newfound cravings. Watching movies on Mondays for a girls' night has also become a regular part of my week and something I look forward to. I mean, who doesn't want to watch "Magic Mike" with your friends after a long day of class?

2. Your dorm has become your house

When you're given a small space to divide up between your and another person you have two options: cry, or make the most out of it. I used the most of my space, and it's like having my own extremely tiny apartment. Your dorm has to be not only your bedroom, but your kitchen, your living room and sometimes even a guest room on the weekends. Your roommate also becomes like a second mom. I mean this in the best way possible. We have each others' back. I could never thank her enough for telling me to calm down when I'm stressed, or reminding me to eat dinner.

3. You belong to a community

Getting involved on campus early on is key to your school becoming your second home. Every little thing counts, from meeting girls on your floor to join a new club or Greek Life. Some of my favorite memories of my first month at school have been random ways I've made friends, and finding new passions in clubs I joined on a whim. Maybe it wasn't considered cool at your high school, but in college it's key.

4. You have found your second family

One of the best parts of college is all the people you meet. From the first moment of the first day, you begin forming connections and making friends. You have a whole new support network. I have met some of the most amazing people here and they have only reassured me that I made the right choice. Your college family is always there for you no matter what you need. Whether it's venting over drama, or celebrating they are right by your side.