Why Schitt’s Creek is the perfect show for a business major

Don't be a disgruntled pelican and just watch it already!

175

As business school students, we spend our days learning about write-offs and franchising. While yes, there are shows like Mad Men or Suits or Shark Tank, I'd argue that Schitts Creek takes the cake for the most business-y show out there.

The Rose family lost everything due to poor management from their financial planner, Eli

In business school, not only do we learn about the highs of a successful empire, but about the lows. Johnny Rose, the family's patriarch, was the founder and CEO of Rose Videos, which is what gave their family riches and prestige. When their manager goes awry with their funds and fails to pay their taxes, they are left with only one asset, a town called Schitt's Creek.

Alexis is a total boss

Alexis starts off her time in the show as spoiled brat who can be totally clueless to everything happening around her. During her time in Schitt's Creek, she transforms from entitled airhead to an amazing business woman. She finally graduates high school, helps her brother David negotiate for vendors for his new store, and starts her own PR firm after majoring in marketing at Elmdale College. From running singles week to managing her mother's career comeback, there is nothing Alexis cannot do.

When Johnny gives David interview prep

David learns the value of hard work when he can no longer buy eye cream from Paris. His dad gives him some interview prep when David iconically says "I don't want this job" when his father asks why he wants a job as a bag boy.

David and write offs

Remember when we learned about tax write-offs? Well David obviously didn't. When he works for Wendy at the Blouse Barn, he thinks if he uses the store credit card then the cost just disappears. When Johnny sees David buying lamps and new bedding, they have a hilarious, educational conversation that would make any business major laugh.

Alexis and David negotiating for Wendy

As a business law minor, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode where Alexis and David argue on Wendy's behalf. Blouse Barn Australia needs to pay Wendy for the right to use their name in the USA so Alexis and David help Wendy get more value for her intellectual property.

Stevie and Johnny becoming business partners

When Johnny and Stevie became business partners, my heart swelled. Johnny took Stevie under his wing and mentored her with running the motel. He pushed her to expand the business and with Alexis' help, they came up with the name "Rosebud Motel Group" to further expand their business. Stevie realizes that the only way to really grow their business is by franchising and restoring other motels, a lesson she learned from reading Johnny's book.

Mayor Roland Schitt becomes a real businessman

Roland was kind of lost as mayor, but decided to take out a second mortgage on his home to invest in Rosebud Motel Group. When the Rosebud Motel Group needs a loan to further their expansion, they fly out to New York to make a pitch to Johnny's old assistant. Rolland notices that the group evaluating their idea does not respect them and stands up for his friends, which helps them clinch the deal with a new firm.

David and Patrick

David takes out a loan and buys the old general store to start selling products created by local vendors under one label. When applying for his business license, not only does he meet his new business partner, but his new life partner. From launching the store together to hosting an open mic night, the two make Rose Apothecary a pillar of the community.

Moira’s savvy business acumen

Moira is oftentimes perceived as out there and plain crazy, but Moira is very smart. Moira sponsored some fruit wine and shot a commercial, took a chance on a low budget film made in Bosnia which turned into the hit The Crows Have Eyes III, and negotiated a spot on her former soap Sunrise Bay while outsting her former annoying co-star, helping the family get back some of their wealth.

Twyla’s Cafe Tropical

Twyla was the sweet, small town waitress who offered edible food with a smile. At the end of the series, Twyla takes Alexis's advice and does what makes her happy: she buys the cafe.

Seriously, you just have to watch the show to see them all grow into the amazing business people they are <3