The Scariest Things About Being A Senior

It is spooky being a fourth year!

161

It is October: a time of change. A time of reflection. A time for new chapters to start, and old ones to finish. As graduation creeps closer, I cannot help but think about how exciting it is to be a senior. Yet, it is extremely terrifying. These are the scariest thing about being a senior in college.

1. This is the year of lasts.

You may be used to being in the routine of college. You're a pro. You know the ropes. You think you have another year ahead of you. Unfortunately, this is the year of lasts. The lasts of being in a lecture hall. The lasts of tailgating. The lasts of sporting events. The lasts of going out with friends. The lasts of being on the verge of an adult.

2. Reality is closer than it appears.

In this haze of being a senior, sometimes we forget that there is life after college. We must face the music and join the rest of society. We must work an 8-5, earn a salary, and conform to social norms. This is inevitable, and it is coming for us; whether we like it or not.

3. You don't know when you will be able to see your friends next.

After college, it is natural for everyone to go their separate ways. People move out of state. People move back home. The most common reasons are for further education, job opportunities, and/or due to being in long-term relationships. The time you have now with your friends will be far and few in between. Cherish it now. Spend as much time with your friends as possible. Even after you graduate, don't forget to stay in touch with those you care about.

4. We must adult.

No day drinking on a Saturday. No napping at 1 pm on a Wednesday. No throwing parties. No procrastinating. No delaying responsibilities. Adulting is one of the biggest obstacles we must face. Along with receiving our degree, comes maturity. We are held to a higher standard. Enjoy making mac and cheese while you can.

5. Job and graduation school applications.

It is time to figure out what you're going to do for the rest of your life. This includes applying to grad school and jobs. This entails standardized testing, and filling out applications. Hours and hours are dedicated studying. Years are taken out of your time perfecting your resume. All you want is someone to employ you. All you want is someone to let you into their institution,

6. You're getting older.

The concept of time is a funny thing. It still feels like we're freshmen in college, but we are not. We can't drink like the young ones can. We don't have enough energy. We are worn out; exhausted. We feel 85, but we are only 22. At least coffee helps, right?

7. It is going to be bittersweet when you leave.

Although we count down to graduation from day one, we know we're going to miss our home. College is where we grew up. We transformed. We met our friends for life. We gained lessons. We are not the same people that we once were. All the memories will last a lifetime. It is going to be pivotal becoming alumni.

These realizations about senior year are terrifying. Seniors, appreciate the time you have left as much as you can. As everyone has told me, the time does go by fast. Don't wish away your senior year: have fun!