Why Scarlett O'Hara is My Hero

Why Scarlett O'Hara is My Hero

She stands within the ranks of my role models alongside my pastor and Oprah.

887
Why Scarlett O'Hara is My Hero
Daily Mail
“Burdens are for shoulders strong enough to carry them”
-Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind

Scarlett O’Hara, protagonist of "Gone With the Wind," is an iconic character especially in the South. You can’t walk down the streets of Charleston or Savannah, South Carolina without seeing glass figurines in her likeness and other “Gone With the Wind” memorabilia in windows for sale; I myself am the proud owner of collectible playing cards and the 75th anniversary DVD.

However, even with how celebrated Scarlett and her story may be, I usually hear others only say how childish, frail, bossy and downright mean she was. I fervently disagree with this characterization as she stands within the ranks of my role models alongside my pastor and Oprah. Here is why:

She was the epitome of the southern belle.

One of the reasons why Scarlett is so famous is that she embodies the essence of a southern belle. She dresses to the nines, talks sweetly and is overtly charming. I’ve always aspired to have her grace, poise and social skills, not to mention her beautiful dresses.

She never cared what the haters thought.

Scarlett knew when she wasn’t the most popular girl in the room and often heard the gossip about her from other ladies. She just brushed it offand didn’t let what anyone said get her down. Sure, she was popular with the men and toyed with them often, but she wasn’t fazed when she overheard partygoers call her a man-stealer behind her back. Also, despite the protests, taunts and insults, she never denounced her love for Ashley who constantly led her on, giving her just enough to keep hope. She also disregarded traditional customs with ease despite the shock she gave those around her; dancing with Rhett in public while in mourning for her first husband is a great indication of her confident nature.

She was a natural leader.

As the oldest of three girls, Scarlett knew how to take charge, especially when it mattered most. First, when all of Atlanta was deserted due to Sherman’s infamous March to the Sea, Scarlett had to deliver a baby without any prior knowledge then drive the new mother, baby and a slave through burning houses and trees with Rhett, her true love interest; then, they had to hide from Union soldiers in the rain and trudge home on foot to find Tara, her plantation, in ruins. Finally, when her mother first died and her father fell apart at the seams, she had to take charge of all of the plantation while it was deserted and barren; she ultimately succeeded at reviving the place.

She went for what she wanted.

Scarlett was very ambitious and determined. She never gave up on her love for Ashley, going through extremes to make him want her again from marrying his cousin to make him jealous to making him gifts to show her love. Also, whenever she saw something she wanted, she gave 100 percent. She was entrepreneurial as she started her own lumber yard, creative as she made an ingenious outfit from simple, old drapes and strategic as she often had others do what she asked.

She learned how important her roots were.

Throughout all of Scarlett’s trials and tribulations, she sees her home, Tara, as a safe haven, no matter what shape it may be in. She goes through great lengths to keep Tara alive and protected like shooting a threatening union soldier, marrying her sister’s beau for the money he has to keep the plantation afloat and making her and her sisters pick cotton in the fields when all the workers were gone. Scarlett learns through experience how important her home is no matter how far away she may be and ultimately turns to Tara after experiencing the crushing pain of Rhett leaving her.

She was a survivor.

Scarlett lived through some of the most crippling experiences that would have left others mentally and physically destroyed. Growing up as a plantation daughter, Scarlett was taught how to be a lady, however she had to learn through experience to survive. She first dealt with the heartache of being led on by Ashley, someone she thought loved her until he broke it off to marry his cousin. Then, she had to stand on the sidelines as she watched his love unfold for another; but, it only got harder from there. She then lost both her parents in a short span of time: one to sickness and the other a freak accident. Then, after surviving the union soldier’s destruction, she was left to manage a plantation as it was going under. She also suffered from hunger, her sisters hating her, Rhett’s unsolicited temper, losing her daughter the same way she lost her father and losing her unborn baby. Lastly, she experienced the heartbreak of falling in love a little too late as Rhett decides leaves her. Scarlett somehow taps into her insurmountable strength to carry on through all the disasters that were thrown her way and utters the famous lines, “After all.. Tomorrow is another day”, and "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again".

She was human.

Besides holding on to a love that wasn’t returned, Scarlett had headstrong ways that put herself and those around her into danger at times. One example is when she drove through the lumber mill alone, after advised not to, and had to be saved by her former field hand. This led to the death of her current husband as he went out to confront the men who threatened her there. She also was jealous,impulsive and sometimes selfish. However, her downfall is what makes her human and more relatable as we all have done things we regret.

To sum it all up, Scarlett O'Hara was a courageous, strong and ambitious woman who flawlessly carried on through any kind of weather. Even though she is remembered for her immortalized words and dazzling dresses, she should also be regarded as a role model beyond compare.