Saying Goodbye To My Dog

Saying Goodbye To My Dog

Good-bye old friend

127
Saying Goodbye To My Dog
screene.com

Dear Whizzy,

I remember when you and Tally first came into our lives like it was yesterday. I was a seven-year-old and our friend needed someone to watch her dogs and their puppies. As payment, she offered to give us a puppy and dad told mom that we could do that. During this time of my life, I was in summer school and dad was deployed, so having puppies around made things a lot better. I remember making mom bring you guys to school when she came to get me. It was always a pain and probably not the safest thing to do, but mom did it. I was always so happy and excited to see you guys. There was also the time that I slept out in the living room and you all bombarded me with kisses at six in the morning. I didn’t mind though because nothing is better than puppy kisses. I remember when it came time to pick one of you out. I developed a bond with your brother, Tally, but our friend allowed us to pick one more puppy out. That puppy was you and I’m so happy that fate brought us together. I was so happy because at seven years old I had not one, but two puppies, so of course it was the best summer of my life. As you and Tally got older your personalities came out. Tally was always more dominate and you were always shy, but you both were the biggest mama’s boys ever. I also remember how you two got your names; I got Tally’s name from the Wild Thornberry’s Movie and you got yours because you peed everywhere. You and Tally were there when I was failing school and I refused to wake up on time. You and Tally were there for when I broke my wrist and needed a cast. You guys were there to comfort me when mom was hospitalized and were there to welcome me home when I was hospitalized. You both were there when I needed stitches and when I graduated elementary school. Then after Tally was gone, it was your turn to take care of us and you did your job well. Whiz, you were the best dog ever, even though you could be annoying. I remember how you got fat after Tally was gone because you didn’t have to share bones anymore. I also remember that you stopped peeing in the house and your name was kind of irrelevant at that point You were one of the smartest dogs I have ever met, but you could always be one of the dumbest too. You also never stopped barking almost like how I never stopped talking. As weird as it is to say, you were basically the male and dog version of me. You and I were mom’s biggest fans and fought for her attention all the time. I would be trying to talk to mom and you of course had to butt in and put your two cents in with a couple of barks. Just like you, I had plenty of dumb moments and smart ones too. You were there through middle school and all the changes that came with that. You were there during high school and when I needed a kiss and someone to help me through heart breaks. When mom was out of town, I took care of you and you took care of me. When I first came home from college, you were the first one to tell me hello and welcome home, Nikki. You were there for it all, Whiz and I don’t think you will ever understand how much I love you and how special you are to me. Thank-you so much for being there through my life and allowing me to be a part of yours. Thank-you so much for loving me, even when I was unlovable. Thank-you for all the memories and for being my longest friend. I want you to know that I am proud of you and so happy that I got to be your owner for the last 14 years. I will always love you to the unknown plants and back, just like you loved me unconditionally. Say hi to Tally for me and watch over me.

Love, Nikki