Say No To Respondus Lockdown Browser, College Students Need Privacy

During this pandemic, all schools have gone online. Is that easier for us? Who knows at this point. We are just trying to pass our classes.

93

The only thing I am loving about this quarantine is being able to pass my exams because we can actually use our notes even if the questions are more difficult.

Have you ever heard about the Lockdown Browser, Respondus? Me either, until we got back from spring break and my professor decided to use it for us to take exams. Lockdown Browser Respondus is a program that once installed on your windows, Mac, etc., it opens up its own Internet browser. I am pretty sure we all are aware what Blackboard is; where a professor might send exams or assignments to be completed. The Lockdown Browser will only open that tab of Blackboard and nothing else. The purpose behind all this is for students taking the exam won't be able to open up other tabs and cheat. Also, don't forget that you have to have your webcam on. Technically, they are monitoring your every move while you take the exam.

Many students are quite upset with this and they should be. We all understand that cheating shouldn't happen when taking exams but that would be when we are literally in a classroom. But, with myself and other students, we are on our beds when class takes place, probably in our PJs. Now, thanks to COVID-19 we are imprisoned within our homes. You are probably stuck with family members that you hate or just have a crazy and loud family like I do, who are always up and down.

Our privacy being violated is just one issue students have. Another issue that happens with this Respondus thing is that it can cause our computers to crash, keep applications from working or even introduce a new virus. Now, if we are quarantined and not allowed to go anymore. Majority of stores and businesses are closed and we have a computer that is crashed or has a virus, where do you expect us to go to fix the issue?

Another issue coming is since many students are using the Lockdown Browser at the same time for exams, the browser overtaxes the system. In other words, the student may lose internet access, lose access to the exam and their completed work. Having to restart the exam with having limited time is more frustrating and stressful for the student and the institution with the variety of emails by the students.

So furthermore, those classes that are still using the Lockdown Browser, why can't you make it easier for all of us and just let us use our notes. At this point in life, it's not called cheating, it's helping us survive during this pandemic. Thank you.