13 Reasons Why Facebook's 'Pride' Reaction Is So Awesome

Say it loud, say it proud.

11
Unsplash

In the spirit of Fourth of July, pride is a major element to patriotism. However, patriotism can exist farther than loving one's country. When I think of pride, I think of pride for oneself and one's community. Therefore, Facebook's new "Pride" feature is effective for both LGBTQ+ identifiers and allies as well as other people. It is awesome because...

1. "Like" and "love" and "anger" and "sad" just weren't enough emotions!

2. The rainbow coloring of the button shows support towards the LGBTQ+ community!

3. People are able to express their emotions in a different way online.

4. People who have difficulty expressing themselves verbally are able to share their emotions via social media.

5. The button is beautifully rainbow colored.

6. It is hoped that LGBTQ+ identifiers will feel as if they are further part of the Facebook community.

7. Evidently, more and more LGBTQ+ identifiers will hopefully join the Facebook community; thus, increasing Facebook's numbers.

8. Hopefully, more and more young LGBTQ+ advocates will appreciate the Facebook feature and will increase their time spent on Facebook, which millennials typically do not frequently use nowadays compared to other social media applications.

9. You can show pride for yourself!

10. You can show pride for others!

11. Facebook is expanding itself with this new gadget!

12. Pride is not as common of an emotion to discuss as sadness and joy are, but Facebook is helping to make this feeling more mainstream.

13. Similar to other phenomenas, other social media platforms will potentially adapt this "pride" button and follow in Facebook's lead.

Pride exists in many ways, but if Facebook, and perhaps other websites, can help incorporate acceptance of minority communities, as well as all individuals, with this tool, then this serves as an excellent asset. People should not be ashamed to display pride. Therefore, this button has appropriately been released in the same month as LGBTQ+ Pride Parades occurrences.