I Saw 'Hamilton' Live And, Surprise, It Was Worth The Hype

I wanted to be in "the room where it happens," and you should, too.

892
Juliana Cosenza

It is no doubt that you have heard of the acclaimed Broadway musical Hamilton, or better yet, you are familiar with its composer, Lin-Manuel Miranda. However, you probably are confused about the intense focus and popularity the show has gained since its debut in 2015.

The questions that cross your mind are "What is all the hype about?" and more importantly, "Is the hype really worth it?" As someone who has recently seen Hamilton, I can assure you that yes, its hip-hop themed take on one of America's most crucial Founding Fathers is worth all the hype...and more.

To explain my opinion, I have included the story from when I first became familiar with the show to witnessing its live performance on Broadway for myself. I wanted to be in "the room where it happens", and you should, too.

Approximately two years ago, I stumbled across the Hamilton soundtrack while listening to a Broadway playlist on Spotify. The song was "My Shot", one of the most popular songs from the show, and immediately, I was drawn to its catchy, upbeat, and hip-hop inspired twist to American history. Fascinated, I listened to that song and became familiar with the show's the opening number, "Alexander Hamilton."

A couple months later, a friend showed me to the rest of the soundtrack, and I found myself following the songs which detailed the main plot of the show.

As a fan of most Broadway show-tunes, I quickly grew fond of the Hamilton soundtrack; however, what distinguished this soundtrack from any other Broadway show-tune was its new and distinct sound. For the first time, catchy hip-hop inspired rhythms and raps overtook the Broadway scene, and in my opinion, have changed the image of Broadway forever.

Ever since then, I have been obsessed with everything concerning the "ten-dollar founding father" Alexander Hamilton and the hit show based on his life. Although I least expected it, I was finally a part of the hype surrounding Hamilton, and I loved every part of it.

However, the only problem was the astronomical price for a single ticket. So, for an incredibly long amount of time, I was stuck in the mindset that getting tickets to Hamilton was impossible.

On every birthday and Christmas after my established Hamilton obsession continued to grow, I repetitively asked for tickets from my family and friends. I even offered to collect all the money I received just for one ticket to the show.

At first, the insane price of a single ticket led my parents and relatives astray from even thinking of buying one. But after the entire cast of Hamilton confronted Vice-President elect Mike Pence in the audience in November of 2016, my parents were convinced that Hamilton was nothing more than an overrated Broadway show whose purpose was only to advance leftist political agenda.

They were not only opposed to the show, but also to the overriding democratic political views of the entire cast. After Mike Pence's encounter with the Hamilton cast on Broadway, I could barely even mention the show to my parents let alone ask them to buy me tickets without a political rant.

In that moment, I nearly gave up on my hopes to ever see my new favorite show on Broadway.

Over this past summer, while on vacation, I had a conversation with someone who won tickets to Hamilton through a ticket lottery. She revealed to me the Official Hamilton App which contains daily lotteries to enter for a chance to see the show.

With all my hopes for seeing Hamilton nearly abandoned, I downloaded the app and entered the lotteries on a daily basis. Yet, after weeks of being unsuccessful in the ticket lottery, my dreams came true when one of my good friends received tickets as a Christmas present and asked me to come along.

Immediately, I started crying tears of joy.

My long two-year journey finally found a light at the end of the tunnel. Finally, this was my chance, and I was not throwing away my shot.

I walked towards the Richard Rodgers Theatre on a cold, January afternoon with butterflies in my stomach. As I made our way into the theatre, I constantly said, "This is not real life." I was simply overwhelmed with joy, happiness, and utter excitement. After the three-hour production, I am glad to say that Hamilton was worth all the two years of preparation and obsession, and I left the theatre completely satisfied.

You may be asking yourself why, so I will give you just a couple of reasons. First, as I mentioned before, Hamilton is unlike any other musical before. Despite its setting in early America during the eighteenth century, the meaning behind the play is purely timeless. Its use of history to relate to common day issues, controversies, and debate is truly amazing.

Also, the historical connection inspires younger generations to take interest in the life of Alexander Hamilton and the legacy he left for this country. Speaking of lyrics, the show's utilization of hip-hop is not only catchy but also extremely brilliant. I can only imagine the insane amount of creativity and research that went into Lin Manuel Miranda's thought process for the show.

And finally, the show's combination of music, history, and drama within the performance is what makes it unique, in a good way. Throughout the show, you are a firsthand witness to the amazing plot twists, character development, and struggles that are based on the realities of Alexander Hamilton.

Although I would like to exaggerate more to explain my case, some things are left better to be kept quiet, especially so that you can enjoy the show as much as I did.

As I have continuously said, Hamilton is a special, unique and creative addition that has forever changed Broadway. If you do not believe me, just you wait.