Why Bees Are Worth Saving

Why Bees Are Worth Saving

Bees make more than just honey.
226

Many species have been put on the endangered species list throughout the years, and most recently added are various species of bees. Bees are essential to our ecosystems and we need to band together and put all our efforts in to save the bees. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Honey

Bees make honey and so without them there would be no honey. Now, while honey is often overlooked, it has many health benefits. It can be used medicinally, for healing wounds, and has other general health benefits.

2. Cotton

Most of our clothing is made from cotton and without bees pollination wouldn’t be possible.

3. Flowers

In addition to pollination of cotton, without bees we wouldn’t have the flowers we do.

4. Fruits and Vegetables

Again I stress the importance of pollination. Without bees we wouldn’t have as many fruits and vegetables because bees wouldn’t be pollinating those plants and then they can’t grow.

5. Beeswax

This one isn’t as obvious as the other reasons stated but beeswax is used in many products like lipsticks, candles, moisturizers, and so much more. Without bees we wouldn’t have these products anymore, at the very least they wouldn’t be the same as they are now.

So, how can we play our part in saving the bees?

1. Limit the use of pesticides.

Pesticides aren’t good for you and so they also aren’t good for the bees. If you have your own garden limit use of pesticides. Also, buy local and organically grown foods to increase the demand for pesticide-free produce.

2. Plant things that native to your area.

If you are planting flowers plant ones that are native to your area. Bees like things they are familiar with and it will also not disrupt the local ecosystem.

3. Buy honey from local beekeepers.

By supporting local beekeepers you are ensuring that they keep good conditions for their bees.

4. Create a water basin for the local bees.

Bees need water and by putting a small dish outside with water you can provide for the bees in your area. Even by having a birdbath in your garden or yard you can help the bees. Just make sure there are small stones in the water that provide a place for the bees to rest on while they take a drink.

5. Share the awareness!

The more people that know about the endangerment of bees the more people can help to save them.

Find out more information here: http://www.lifebasicsorganics.com/blog/why-are-bees-important