Save Our Thankfulness

Save Our Thankfulness

Help out a local church while staying in the Thanksgiving spirit of being thankful.

5
Save Our Thankfulness
Wallpaper Better

Thanksgiving has come. It is time to be grateful. But what are we truly thankful for? Well, I think I can help you if you think you have nothing to be grateful for.

Pilgrim United Church of Christ in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio is the oldest church in Summit County and it contains a wealth of history dating back to the 1800s. Recently, the church has been going through a rough period due to external forces. That's why this church asks for our help.

Pilgrim has started a program called "SOS: Save Our Steeple". This program has been created to obtain a whopping $250,000 to help fix and repair their iconic steeple that has overshadowed the city of Cuyahoga Falls for many many years. The steeple bean to leak about five years ago according to their leader, Rev. Kirk Bruce.

Pilgrim UCC was built in 1834 and has since created a history of its own. Thought to be a stop on the Underground Railroad, there are holes in the floor where they thought the runaway slaves would hide so they would not be captured.

The church's bell, an iconic image of any church, was one of the last objects to be transported down the Ohio Canal in 1913. At this church, it is a tradition to have the honor of ringing the bell when you are married there.

There are also many beams used to create the church structure that have engravings dating all the way back to 1920.

In 1975, Pilgrim United Church of Christ also received the honor of being placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

As one can easily see, this church is an icon to be looked up to through making it almost two centuries of trials and tribulations. This issue with the steeple is the next big trial. After being struck during storms, the steeple forced an immediate repair by the church.

"Save Our Steeple" Program has raised $100,000 of the total money needed. There is still a lot of money to be raised, over half, and that is why they are asking all of you to help them by spreading the word and donating to their cause.

There are three ways in which you can help and keep this iconic symbol around. One way is to visit pilgrimcf.org and donate online. You can also visit any Northeast Ohio branch of Westfield Bank and put money in the Pilgrim UCC fund. The final way is mail or stop by with a check specified for the Steeple Fund of "SOS:Save Our Steeple" at Pilgrim U.C.C. 130 Broad Blvd. Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221

This valuable piece of history needs our help, and we need to give when we can because we are supposed to be thankful for the things around us. This place that we are thankful for, needs our help to make sure it stays around for a long, long time.