10 Life-Changing Ways To Save Money That Every Broke College Student Must Know
Education

Get the most out of your college experience while also saving your bank account.

108
https://unsplash.com/photos/rItGZ4vquWk

Being a student and going to college is probably one of the most expensive activities to take part in. From tuition to textbooks, you also have to deal with your friends constantly wanting to go out. All of this spending can be detrimental to your bank account, so here are 10 ways you can save your money during your time as a student.

1. Stop buying all of your groceries at Target Express, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

Aldi

Instead, go to places like Aldi or Walmart for all you grocery necessities at a fraction of the cost. Also, make a trip to your local farmers market to buy bundles of fresh produce for cheap.

2. Utilize all those student discounts and perks

iClarified

Don't sleep on student discounts, because you'll only be a student for so long. Get your extra 10% off on many clothing sites or a $4.99 Hulu and Spotify bundle now before it's too late. I know there are also many movie theaters, parks, bowling alleys, etc. that offer discounts for students.

3. Use other forms of transportation besides Lyft and Uber

usatcollege.files.wordpress.com

If you find yourself getting a Lyft or Uber to travel around campus, those things can add up, even if you split it with your friends. Instead, invest in a bus pass, or you can get a light workout in while you're at by walking or biking.

4. Create a fake email to become members of every food chain to get free food

s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com

If you refrain some signing up for food memberships, because you don't want your email cluttered, then just make an email designated specifically for food memberships. That way you can get your free bagel, donut, ice cream or any other perk of joining without having to deal with their bombardment of emails.

5. Thrift your basic clothing pieces

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com

Please refrain from buying that $25 white t-shirt and just go to your local thrift store. Save your big purchases for statement pieces and save some money when it comes to buying your basics. Who knows, you might even find some of your statement pieces at the thrift store, too.

6. If you go out a lot, start ordering small dishes and stop ordering fountain drinks

Ypulse

If you find yourself going out to eat a lot, your only hope is to spend less for each visit. That means asking for a cup for water rather than a $2 fountain drink or buying the smaller portion. Trust me, everything adds up, so making this cut will help your wallet and probably be healthier for you in the end, too.

7. Study at a library and bring your own homemade coffee

Unsplash

Going to a coffeeshop to do your studying means spending at least $5 on coffee and $8 if you buy a coffee, plus pastry you were eyeing. Instead, buy some cream and syrup and make your own lattes and cold brews. Then, make your way to a library or book shop for the same aesthetic and sitting areas that coffeeshops offer.

8. Do your research on free events

PBS

When you want to go out with friends, go to that local art festival or movie in the park that is free to the public. I like to check Facebook for all events near me. Also, visit the websites of art museums, zoos and bowling alleys, because there are usually specific times where admission is completely free or discounted.

9. Become an extreme couponer

static.adweek.com

It's time we stop laughing at all of those moms who meticulously cut out every coupon they can find before they hit the grocery store and start learning from them. Use sites like Groupon, Student Beans or even a coupon book and start cutting and saving. Trust me, it pays off when you get a BOGO burger or free guac and chips with your purchase.

10. Share a textbook with your classmate or buy them used

tnachievesblog.files.wordpress.com

Take some time to scour used textbooks. Many times, you can find the older editions at drastically reduced prices. So, ask your professor if the older edition will work just as well and save some money. However, I've found that the expensive books are pretty hard to find a deal on. So, find a classmate and split the cost of a textbook, then work together or take pictures of the pages.