Secret Life Of The Upside Down Smiley ๐Ÿ™ƒ

It sees all. It knows all. It's ready to take on the world.

48985
Photo: Hannah Jacole

In the new iOS 10, iPhone users get 37 new emojis! (Yay!) But while the sportswomen & gay pride flag are fabulous, face itโ€”few emojis possess the sagacious swagger, iconic poise, & sheer versatility of Upside-Down Smiley. With its aloofly omnipotent stare, it has our backs in the most volatile situations, & can effortlessly reinforce our views, even if we're not totally sure what those views are at the moment. They save the day daily, often in the following scenarios! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Petty.

Synonyms: trivial, trifling, & spiteful. Taken literally, being petty is to capitalize on a minor detail (for no apparent reason, to others). Therefore, this smiley conveys your pettiness with grace, as only those with the inside scoop catch it, & confrontation is avoided yet the point is made.
Example: A mean but "popular" girl gets her braces off & posts a selfie. While her teeth look better, you know her personality & find the image tolerable at best. You join in the 50 other congratulations, with a cordial "Omg, yay! Soooo pretty! ๐Ÿ™ƒ" Thanks, Upside-Down Smiley!

Flirty.

As coy as flirting can be, it can also be exhilarating, frivolous, & even vapid. Never fear! Your emoji-hero has you covered.
Examples:
1. Playing it cool. Him/her: "Seeing you was the best part of my day!!!" You: "๐Ÿ™ƒ"
2. Accepting racy remarks without overdoing it. Him/her: "Ya know, I'm home alone... ๐Ÿ˜" You: "Oh, really? That's my favorite movie... ๐Ÿ™ƒ"
3. Discussing potential future with person. Him/her: "So, what are we?" You: "I guess it depends ๐Ÿ™ƒ"
4. Or cutting off that potential future. Him/her during should-be-intriguing conversation for the 1000th time: "Yup/lol/cool/k." You: "Haha yeah ๐Ÿ™ƒ" *blocks number*
You've done it again, Upside-Down Smiley!

Savage.

"Though she be little, she is fierce." Shakespeare predicted this legendary emoji in 1600. Repeatedly displaying savage characteristics, one may be deemed "a savage" like this emoji.
Example: Girl posts photo of the "love of her life" & mushy caption. Knowing your friend was "with" her hours ago, you chuckle, & below the clueless sea of "๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜" comments, you drop a "๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ" & you really don't know what happens next, as she knows you know, deletes your comment, & blocks you. Don't worry, though - you did the right thing, Upside-Down Smiley!

Naive.

Playing dumb is hard when you're smart, but your emojis are here to help! (Parents may not enjoy this usage very much.)
Example: Angry friend: "You're an idiot. How do you not know if he was with her or not?" You: "Sorry, I'm an idiot. You can't expect me to know everything ๐Ÿ™ƒ" - or - Mom: "I TOLD YOU TO BE HOME BY 6!!!" You: "Ohhh, I thought you meant 6am! ๐Ÿ™ƒ" Of course, you & Upside-Down Smiley do know everything, but that's another story!

Cocky.

You do it best. You say it best. You wear it best. You are the best! (Also, you & your emojis know it.)
Examples:
1. You post a photo doing something amazing, that your friends can only dream of. Caption: "๐Ÿ™ƒ"
2. You send your bestie a screenshot of your petty, flirty, savage, or naive tactics at their finest. Caption: "๐Ÿ™ƒ"
3. You post a typical jaw-dropping photo slaying in your snazzy new 'fit. Caption: "๐Ÿ™ƒ"
4. You do your best to channel your inner ๐Ÿ™ƒ everywhere you go in real life... just in case.
If emojis had a god, Upside-Down Smiley would be it.

Stoic (Unbothered).

Finally, this emoji's blend of confidence, apathy, & curiosity simply does not allow for turmoil, inside or out. With it's soft, piercing eyes & inquisitive smile, this emoji reminds us it remains unfazed at all times.
Example: Someone tries to insult or undermine your awesome accomplishment. You recognize the classic symptoms of spite/envy, & know there's nothing you can say. Well... nothing except, "๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ" Ah, you never cease to amaze us, Upside-Down Smiley.!

No matter what, this emoji is on your side! It can get you in & out of situations without breaking a sweat, & it picks up the slack when words fail. Its amibiguity offers a quality making it impossible for one to be certain of your intentions if that's what you wish, or deliver a precise punch if you prefer. In no way can Upside-Down Smiley be defeatedโ€”but it invites you to try! ๐Ÿ™ƒ

(Photo: samples of people using ๐Ÿ™ƒ effectively!)