Does “Star Wars” Need To Scrap The New Trilogy?

Have fans had enough? Should it keep going or start over?

526

I have loved "Star Wars" since my parents sat me and my brother down and watched them. I instantly found myself clinging to it like a little kid clings to a teddy bear. Only thing is, once the kid grows older and more mature, they'll let go eventually. I have yet to let go of Star Wars to nobodies surprise. To fans everywhere, Star Wars is more than a toy lightsaber or more than just a movie. It's a childhood tradition, a nostalgic trip, something to hold onto as they grow older. It showed them that anyone from anywhere can be a good guy and save the day. That there is potential in all of us to do good, however its up to us to act on it.

That being said, ever since Disney had acquired the film in 2012 (man what a year) they have been attempting to put their stamp on the franchise. It's worked too! But maybe not in the way that they imagined. Many people feel like the new movies aren't doing the franchise justice. When "The Force Awakens" came out, people were hyped! They were excited! It shattered box office records all over the globe and made over 1 billion dollars worldwide. While most people liked it, there were quite a few who didn't. I've talked with several folks about it and what it boils down to is that the movie was, at its core, a remake of "A New Hope", Rey was a "Mary Sue" (someone with no faults), and it was overall a safe movie. They didn't take any big risks or changed a vital part of the mythology or anything. Enter "The Last Jedi". This was the complete opposite, many including myself, feel it ruined several of the already established characters.

SPOILERS ABOUND PEOPLE

They killed Luke, Snoke, and Captain Phasma. Rian Johnson, the director of "Last Jedi", wanted to put his on spin on the movies, while J.J. Abrams, who did "Force Awakens" clearly set up a story behind all of these people to be uncovered in later installments. I feel like Disney is just winging the Star Wars franchise. They aren't carefully considering what the effects of their choices will impact other movies. When planning a franchise like this, it is wise to take a step back to try to see what you're trying to accomplish. J.J I think did this very well, he wanted story to flow through the new trilogy, while Johnson just wanted to surprise audiences with his choices and didn't look to see how that would effect Episode 9. I believe very few of Johnsons choices actually will have a positive effect on the next movie.

Should they start over? I would say no, because we do not know the outcome of the story yet, but if Episode 9 bombs next year, then the sequel trilogy is going to take home the award of worst trilogy in the saga. You won't ever be able to go back and completely change the movie. Disney won't do it, even if they had an idea on how to do it, the projects would cost too much money. However, if fans can overcome their hate for prequels and find stuff to love in those movies, then they can do the same in the sequels. Might take a little bit, but as the movies have shown in times past, good things happen to those who wait.