Salsa & Confidence

Salsa & Confidence

What makes you feel confident?

32

Ever since I could remember, I have listened to salsa music. I heard it playing in the backyard of my grandparents' house for every single family function; family members laughing loudly and dancing the night away was a common sight. I heard it whenever my mom was going to have a full day's worth of cleaning. I've heard it in times of great joy, and also at times of deep sorrow. Salsa has been part of my life.

Of course, I've always heard different types of Latin music throughout my life, particularly cumbia, merengue, salsa, bachata, and reggaetón, but salsa always struck me differently. Its rapid beat, powerful drums, and strong yet smooth dance style, have always filled me with pure joy-- the kind of joy that makes you forget about your day's worries, lifting you up to dance and sing your heart out all alone in your room. You feel on top of the world, even if you are just in your room. You feel invincible. You feel beautiful.

While salsa brings me that feeling, it's not the same for everyone. For others it can be fashion, makeup, sports, a hobby, literally anything, and that's the beauty of it. Often times I hear confidence being defined in terms of only being comfortable with yourself, and although that is true, I feel like confidence presents itself in other ways as well. There are certain activities that really do make us feel magical; they enrich our souls, deepening our self-love and self-interest. It's amazing to be able to find something in this world that makes you feel that way, and the fact that you actually found it is, in itself, something to give yourself credit for. If you haven't found anything that makes you feel that way yet, don't worry, because you will. If you put yourself out into the world, open to trying new things, then it is only a matter of when.

I honestly believe that this feeling of confidence is essential to our everyday lives, coping mechanisms, and task performance. If you do whatever your activity of choice is before you have to do say, a group project, it puts you in a good enough mood that you are more receptive as a team member, and more likely to put your best effort forward. Likewise, feeling that confidence all on your own and using that to get yourself back on track whenever you struggle, is a key way to deal with any setbacks. Overall, when you feel good, you perform better, so why wouldn't you do everything in your power to feel the best you possibly can?

So what makes you confident? What makes you feel invincible? Find it, and never let it go.