Sagittarius: The Greek Myth Behind Your Sign

Chiron or Crotus the archer, who to you think is the true symbol behind Sagittarius?

470
Jackie Montalvo

November 22December 21

The myth behind the Sagittarius is another one where the story behind it isn't completely clear. Some say it's about the centaur Chiron who was accidently killed by Hercules with a poison arrow, other say it's the symbol of Crotus, a less famous saytr in Greek mythology.

The myth behind the Sagittarius, however, is represented by both of these characters. Crotus a saytr (they have a human head and body, with goat legs and sometimes horns). This is much like Chiron the centaur who is half human half horse. They look similar and have similar qualities which is why they are so often confused.

Both centaurs and saytrs were known to the Greeks as rowdy and aggressive creatures, but both Chiron and Crotus were the exceptions to the rule. They were smart, athletic and well mannered.

Here is where there is more of story behind Chiron than that of Crotus, Chiron was accidentally shot by Hercules with a poison arrow. Since he was immortal, he was in excruciating pain, so much so that even the most powerful of doctors could not cure him. To free himself from pain, he gave up his immortality to trade places with Prometheus who had given fire to man and was being tortured on Tartarus . In appreciation and recognition, Zeus placed him in the night sky.

What I think is the correct story behind Sagittarius is the story of Crotus. Crotus was a saytr living on Mouth Helikon, he often spent time with the muses but was a talented hunter and musician. He is said to be the inventor of the hunting bow, which is why the symbol is a bow and arrow. It is said that in this story, the muses were the ones to grace Crotus with the honor of being amongst the stars in the night sky.

Check out the stories behind the other astrological signs: