12 Tips For Staying Safe On Halloween
Halloween

12 Ways To Stay Safe IRL While Dodging Spooky Characters And Creatures This Halloween

Stranger danger doesn't stop once you are an adult.

135

It's almost time to dawn your costumes! Halloween is on its way! Someone, whether it's you or someone you know, is planning a party to celebrate. You may be past trick-or-treating but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be on the lookout for stranger danger.

Here are some common safety reminders to keep in mind as you're out eating candy.

Fire Doesn't F**k Around.

Unsplash

Candles and Jack o'lanterns are a staple of the Halloween decor. Real flame candles can easily be forgotten or knocked over, so avoid any potential accidents by using fake candles. You won't have to worry about going around putting them all out at the end of the night or fret about them getting toppled. Plus, you can reuse the fake candles later.

Wear A Coat!

It doesn't matter how cute your costume is, if it's raining or cold outside, you need a jacket. Take care of yourself. You may not have been sick before, but you certainly put yourself at risk by not simply wearing a jacket while traveling between places. You can take the jacket off when you get to your destination, so there's no reason to act like it is a nuisance. Yes this is something your mom would probably fuss over, but it's true. You have plenty of time and opportunity to show off your costume when you arrive at your destination.

Under The Weather?

Unsplash

Have you not been feeling 100% lately? If so, at least consider revising your Halloween celebration plans. First off, if you planned to drink alcohol during your Halloween party, you need to take a moment to understand how that can affect your recovery overall. Everyone knows that alcohol dehydrates the consumer and when you're still fighting off a cold that alone can make your condition worse.

Alcohol also opens up your blood vessels, meaning whatever virus or illness you are trying to overcome is now able to move through your bloodstream easier. Any condition you may have had earlier will probably become worse as well. The baseline is: how can your body focus on healing you when you flood it with a substance it has to focus on filtering out first? If you do think you're well enough to consume alcohol, make sure to be safe.

The next thing to consider is the health of those you'll be around. If you know you have been battling a cold or flu, why would you potentially pass that on to your friends? Of course, you don't want to miss out on the fun or make anyone upset by not tagging along, but if they're actually mad at you for staying home because you're sick, maybe you should reevaluate your friendships. A good friend would be bummed that you have to sit this one out but would understand the necessity of it.

Drink Safety.

Most awareness campaigns and news stories about drinking at parties seem to focus on women getting slipped drugs. Unfortunately, this occurrence is not uncommon, but we must remember that this is not only happening to women. Anyone can be a victim of drink contamination, whether it's an alcoholic drink or not, regardless of if they are out in public or at home with friends. When at all possible, make your own drinks.

Do not leave your drinks out of your sight. If you have to bring your drink into the bathroom, fine. It can sit on the counter next to the sink until your done and have washed your hands. Going to a party at a friend of a friend's house? Bring your own cup that has a lid. It sounds stupid, but it helps prevent two things. One, you are less likely to lose track of your drink because it's your cup from home and you want to bring it back with you. Two, it makes it significantly harder for someone to slip you something.

Your drink doesn't have to be off to the side on a table to be targeted. Stay vigilant!

Emergency Contacts.

Do your parents live more than 30 minutes away? If so it is not effective to have them as your going out emergency contact. Sure, your parents will do everything they can to help you and pick you up if you need it, but there is a practical limit to this.

If you need to get out of a situation quick or need a ride home, you should have a trusted friend or family member that is near enough to feasibly come to your aid. Do not rely on a person who is going out with you for this, because they may push back about not wanting to leave or not be sober enough at the time to do so. The designated driver does not always hold to their agreement.

Memorize your emergency contact's phone number, or, better yet, write their name and number on your arm (with a regular pen, not a sharpie) and once dry, coat the information with liquid bandage. Pen ink is not overall great for your skin, but having the number written on your arm is better than panicking and forgetting your contact. You should also make sure that the person you choose, knows that you are relying on them as your backup, and when you are going out. This person may ignore a phone call while they're at home working on something else if they don't know to be watching out for a potential call. Plus, the person you may want as your backup, may not be comfortable filling that role.

Stick With Your Trusted Crew.

Not hosting the party this year? Then make sure you're going out with friends you trust to be safe as well as fun. They should be the people you trust to not ditch you, help you out if something happens, and back you up if you feel like you need to leave. Of course, you can have fun and be safe.

Have A Plan B.

No, this isn't about contraceptives. (Although if you do plan to be active in that sense, protect yourself before there's a scare.) What this is really about is making sure you have a place to stay if your first choice doesn't work out. Going out on the town but you still want to go home to sleep in your own bed? What if you aren't sure if you can make it back home safely? Make sure to think about your options and ask friends if they're willing to be your backup if, on the off chance, you need a ride or a place to stay at.

Don't Drink & Drive!

This is talked about often all year round. Don't drive after drinking! Call an Uber or someone you trust. Driving under the influence puts others at risk, not just yourself. Enough said.

Makeup.

Unsplash

Before you start creating your incredible makeup design to go with your costume, make sure it is safe to wear. That may seem strange, but there are loads of makeup "hacks" out there that could put your health at risk. Using lipstick as a cream eyeliner, for example. Not all lipsticks are safe to put just anywhere on your face and some are debatably unsafe to even put on your lips. Creating a bold lip design with eyeshadow is another example. You're putting a lot of chemicals so read the ingredients and warning labels on your makeup products before you try anything out of the norm.

Makeup prosthetics can be tricky too. Read all adhesive labels thoroughly before jumping in. Practice your makeup ahead of time just in case.

See Something? Say Something!

There is a chance nothing concerning will come up, but it's best to be vigilant anyway. It may not be happening to you, but it could be happening to someone else nearby. You intervening and saying something can make all the difference. It can seem awkward, but it can be as easy as talking to the shy girl across the room who seems to be getting cornered. The whole situation could change by you offering a way out of the situation to the potential victim. Yes, it takes some bravery to do this, but remember that if you needed it, you would hope someone would have the guts to help you.

Risky Situations.

Unsplash

This isn't just about being wary of strangers on the street. Don't be coerced or pressure others into doing something that is dangerous or doesn't feel right. This goes along with the "see something, say something" policy but it has slightly different connotations. Deep down you know something isn't a good idea and yet others are trying to make it seem okay. Say no and stick to it.

If someone else says no, respect them and their boundaries. Anyone who is trying to convince you otherwise is not keeping your comfort or safety in mind and should not be listened to. Don't feel bad about drawing the line.

Eat Well As Your Pre-Game.

Having a balanced meal before a night of celebrations does two things for you:

1. You will be more energized leading into and throughout the festivities.

2. You will be less tempted to eat sweets and junk food throughout the night just to keep you going.

Of course, if you choose to drink alcohol, don't do so on an empty stomach and know your limit.

After reading all this, you may be wondering if it's worth even going out. Yes, it is! You'll have a great Halloween, no matter what you decide to do. You've just got to stay vigilant and listen to your gut. You can feel with something isn't right or could be a bad idea, so listen to yourself.