12 Songs That Bring Tears To My Eyes

12 Songs That Bring Tears To My Eyes

Listen to your heart and let the tears fall, just make sure you've got some tissues nearby.

1848
12 Songs That Bring Tears To My Eyes
Everypixel

These songs have the power to bring tears to my eyes. Every song in this list has stolen a little piece of my heart in one way or another. Make sure you have a box of tissues handy in case any of these songs bring out your own.

1. "Fast Car," Tracy Chapman

I’ve lived in the same town my whole life and part of me has always wanted to “escape” and just drive away with no hesitation, no destination, and no worries. I've listened to this song so many times that I can't hide the tears on my cheeks.

2. "Dreams," Fleetwood Mac

“When the rain washes you clean, you’ll know.” I know the line preceding this one has to do with women coming and going, but I’ve interpreted it in my own way. I know now that I’ve been cleansed of my old lifestyle and choices, but there's nothing like a song to make you remember every step of your journey from the bottom to now.

3. "Sweet Disposition," The Temper Trap

This song has desperate and hopeless romance along with fleeting youth trying to reach its fullest potential. “Our blood’s still young, it’s so young it runs and won’t stop ‘til it’s over.” Perfect balance of love and sorrow.

4. "You've Got a Friend," Carole King

If you’ve never heard of Carole King, shame on you. She had been writing lyrics and was a classically trained pianist before 15. After a successful career with her husband Gerry Goffin, her unsuccessful marriage brought her to write an album titled “Tapestry” in 1971. Her unusual voice paired with a steady piano and lyrics from within her soul brings out the comfort and reassurance we all want from a best friend, especially when we're down.

5. "Truce," Twenty One Pilots

“I hope I’m not my only friend.” If this line doesn’t make a lump form in your throat, then you’re probably a robot. Not only does this song bring tears to my eyes 90 percent of the time, it reminds me of when I was younger and struggled to make friends, as we all have at some point.

6. "Flightless Bird, American Mouth," Iron & Wine

If you’ve ever seen "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part One," you’ve heard this song. It plays in the background while Bella walks down the aisle. No matter how cheesy and overdramatic The Twilight Saga was, their soundtracks were always chock-full of some alternative music gold. The subtle beginning of this song is immediately relaxing, but also brings out your inner tween, fantasizing about your own vampire wedding day. Start the waterworks.

7. "Robbers," The 1975

Matt Healy is a talented vocalist that brings his pain to the songs he sings, no matter how fast or slow they are. His voice (vulnerable, yet powerful) in this song gives an angelic rocker vibe while you listen to his thick English accent among the melancholy lyrics.

8. "Ride," Lana Del Rey

Much like Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car,” this song brings out that piece of me that wants to leave my small town in the dust. Lana’s obsession with freedom and pleasure, especially prevalent in her music video, brings a particular type of sadness only she can show in her music.

9. "Iris," The Goo Goo Dolls

The chorus says enough to make us believe we're alone in the world, especially after heartbreak. "I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand..." No one can tell me they haven't cried to this song at least once.

10. "Unchained Melody," The Righteous Brothers

You may have heard this love song in "Ghost," starring Patrick Swayze. The powerful lyrics of profound eternal love is prominent straight to the climax. When I turned 16, I listened to this song after having seen "Ghost" for years, and I never knew how powerful these lyrics truly were. "Godspeed your love to me," says it all.

11. "Hallelujah," Jeff Buckley

I can't listen to this song without tears. The anguish you can hear in Buckley's voice is something that can't be faked. He feels the lyrics, and so do you. It's enough to make you sob uncontrollably in the fetal position.

12. "Asleep," The Smiths

The Smiths are notorious for their somber music that tugs at your heartstrings. Once you listen to this song, there's no turning back. Though the group originated in Manchester over thirty years ago, they were internationally recognized for their alternative sound. We can hear your woe from here, Morrissey.

It's okay to let it all go and let your tears fall. These songs are meant to help us emote and feel deeply about ourselves and one another. It's always okay to cry, it's also okay to listen to these songs to find that place within yourself and feel. We can all use a little cry every now and then.