20 Quotes From Ruth Bader Ginsburg That Showcase Her Immense Wisdom

RBG passed on an incredible legacy and so much wisdom.

1080

Here are some Ruth Bader Ginsburg quotes that we can learn so much from.

1. "We should each be free to develop our own talents, whatever they may be, and not be held back by artificial barriers."

2. "Men and women are persons of equal dignity and they should count equally before the law."

3. "A person's sex bears no necessary relationship to ability."

4. "Feminism...I think the simplest explanation, and one that captures the idea, is a song that Marlo Thomas sang, 'Free to be You and Me.' Free to be, if you were a girl-a doctor, lawyer, Indian chief. Anything you want to be. And if you're a boy, and you like teaching, you like nursing, you would like to have a doll, that's OK too...That notion that we should each be free to develop our own talents, whatever they may be, and not be held back by artificial barriers — man-made barriers, certainly not heaven sent."

5. "Justices continue to think and can change. I am ever hopeful that if the court has a blind spot today, its eyes will be open tomorrow."

6. "We should not be held back from pursuing our full talents, from contributing what we could contribute to the society, because we fit into a certain mold because we belong to a group that historically has been the object of discrimination."

7. "When a thoughtless or unkind word is spoken, best tune it out. Reacting in anger or annoyance will not advance one's ability to persuade."

8. "Every now and then it helps to be a little deaf...That advice has stood me in good stead. Not simply in dealing with my marriage, but in dealing with my colleagues."

9. "My mother told me two things constantly. One was to be a lady, and the other was to be independent. The study of law was unusual for women of my generation. For most girls growing up in the 40s, the most important degree was not your B.A, but your M.R.S."

10. "[Justice O'Connor] said when you're up to chemotherapy, you do it on Friday afternoon. You'll get over it over the weekend, and you'll be able to come to the court on Monday."

11. "You think about what would have happened...suppose I had gotten a job as a permanent associate. Probably I would have climbed up the ladder and today I would be a retired partner...So often in life, things that you regard as an impediment turn out to be great good fortune."

12. "No one who is in business for profit can foist his or her beliefs on a workforce that includes many people who do not share those beliefs."

13. "I think our system is being polluted by money."

14. "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you."

15. "I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others."

16. "If you want to influence people, you want them to accept your suggestions, you don't say, 'You don't know how to use the English language?', or 'How could you make that argument?' It will be welcomed much more if you have a gentle tough than if you are aggressive."

17. "Don't be distracted by emotions like anger, envy, resentment. These just zap energy and waste time."

18. "You can disagree without being disagreeable."

19. "Generally, change in our society is incremental, I think. Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time."

20. "Reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life. Reading shaped my dreams, and more reading helped me make my dreams come true."