Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Justice of Civil Rights

18

I am one for nostalgia. Be it a Peter, Paul, and Mary record from the 1960's, a polaroid of some half-naked ancestor standing in a high chair, or a crumbling house discovered on a hike, I'm always looking for something old to appreciate.

In recent years, I have found another old muse: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Though she may be 82, that woman has one of the brightest minds and brightest histories that the United States has ever known.

In celebration of Friday's landmark Supreme Court decision, here are three RBG quotes that prove her absolute rule over civil rights:

On Female Empowerment and Women's Rights

[W]hen I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the supreme court]? And I say ‘When there are nine.’ People are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that."

I said on the equality side of it, that it is essential to a woman’s equality with man that she be the decision-maker, that her choice be controlling. If you impose restraints, you are disadvantaging her because of her sex…. The state controlling a woman would mean denying her full autonomy and full equality.

On the LGBTQ Community

In recent years, people have said, ‘This is the way I am.’ And others looked around, and we discovered it’s our next-door neighbor–we’re very fond of them or it’s our child’s best friend, or even our child. I think that as more and more people came out and said that ‘this is who I am,’ the rest of us recognized that they are one of us.

All of the incentives, all of the benefits that marriage afford s would still be available. So you're not taking anything away from heterosexual couples. They would have the very same incentive to marry, all the benefits that come with marriage that they do now.

On Race and Discrimination

Just as buildings in California have a greater need to be earthquake proofed, places where there is greater racial polization in voting have a greater need for prophylactic measures to prevent purposeful race discrimination.

People who think you could wave a magic wand, and the legacy of the past is over, are blind.