To The Girl Who Is Thinking About Rushing But Can’t Decide

To The Girl Who Is Thinking About Rushing But Just Can’t Decide

It could be the best decision of your college career.

243
Madison Linnihan

Before I decided to attend Troy University for college I had absolutely zero intention on rushing a sorority. I'm from Wisconsin and Greek life is present there, but it's nothing like it is in the south. Since I wasn't planning on attending a southern school, I didn't think joining a sorority was something I'd be interested in. However, after I committed to Troy, I decided that rushing was something I should do if I wanted to make friends quickly so far from my home.

Every girl that goes through sorority recruitment has a different reason or expectation. I just knew that I wanted to find friends as wonderful as I had back home in college. I came to school without knowing a single soul, so participating in recruitment seemed like a great way to meet people with similar interests.

Before actually going through sorority recruitment I had no idea what I was in for.

I was utterly bewildered when the doors at my first house opened and I was greeted by about a hundred girls singing and clapping.

To tell you the truth, I felt like I was on the Small World Ride in Disneyland and I was a little freaked out.

However, as the week went on, I actually met some pretty genuine girls and had incredible conversations at more than one house. I didn't anticipate feeling at home as quickly as I did in the house I chose though. I'd always assumed being a part of a sorority would be like "Legally Blonde" or something.

I honestly didn't imagine making so many genuine friendships.

I could go on and on about the joys of sisterhood, but I just want to let the girl that isn't quite sure that Greek life is for them know that Greek life is different for everyone. For me, Greek life gave me a family when I was so far from my home, a group of girls to study with, and friends that genuinely cared about doing the right thing and have similar values to me.

So, here I am, four years later and still happy I made my decision to rush. Sorority life wasn't what I thought it would be like, and I'm happy it wasn't. It was so much better. Don't write off Greek life because you're afraid. Going Greek isn't for everyone, but if you're considering going through recruitment, it's worth a shot. You might as well see what the sororities at your school has to offer. It could be the best decision of your college career.