Rush: 'Permanent Waves' Album Review

Rush: 'Permanent Waves' Album Review

Permanent Waves is a fantastic album that demonstrates the band's catchy lyrics and complex instrumentation

454
Rush: 'Permanent Waves' Album Review
cygnus-x1.net

Permanent Waves is the seventh studio album by Canadian rock band Rush, released on January 14, 1980, by Mercury Records in the United States. Its total length is 35:35. The band's lineup included vocalist, bassist, and keyboards player Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, and drummer Neil Peart.

Rush's previous release Hemispheres was their most progressive album they had done. Permanent Waves marks the beginning of a change toward a more radio friendly sound for the band. Rush may have made strides to make more radio friendly hits on this album, but definitely still have some very progressive moments throughout the albums entirety. Permanent Waves is the perfect balance between radio friendly rock and progressive rock.

The album was the band's most popular release yet as it reached #4 on Billboard 200 chart and #3 on the UK albums chart. It has since gone Platinum in the U.S and Canada, as well as Gold in the U.K. The strengths of this album are the progressive, but radio friendly style, the great musicianship, the excellent lyrics and themes, and the abundance of terrific catchy Rush hits. There are no weaknesses on Permanent Waves. Here are my thoughts on each track.

1. "The Spirit of Radio" 4:59 (5/5)

"The Spirit of Radio" begins with a really excellent intro that is one of Rush's most iconic. Then the guitar riff begins and Geddy begins singing and sounds better than he ever has. The song is so upbeat and happy from the start. I love Alex's distortion he uses on his guitar and the drumming on the track is excellent as Neil uses catchy and impressive drums throughout. The synths in the song are used perfectly for background effect and add to what's happening, rather than distract. The track goes into a reggae guitar interlude just before an amazing guitar solo full of distortion and energy. Geddy's bass work during this section is also phenomenal. "The Spirit of Radio" was Rush's biggest hit song yet and is still played consistently on radio today.

2. "Freewill" 5:24 (5/5)

"Freewill" begins with some of Alex's most iconic guitar riffs he has ever used. Geddy's bass is perfect, Neil's drums are great, and the synths are used properly for extra effect. The chorus of "Freewill" is so catchy and quotable to this day. I love the lyrics, they are so catchy and easy to sing along to, but also very well written. Neil's drumming definitely doesn't take a back seat as he just shows why is is the best there is. Geddy plays a terrific bass interlude that leads right into one of my favorite Rush guitar solos of all time as Alex absolutely shreds at impressive speeds. Geddy's bass playing during Alex's solo is also played with impressive speed. Geddy's vocal delivery is powerful when it needs to be and more laid back when it should be. I love "Freewill" and it is probably my favorite normal length track the band has ever done.

3. "Jacob's Ladder" 7:28 (5/5)

"Jacob's Ladder" begins with a bass line and a light guitar riff with drums and a synth line played over them. It is one of Rush's more atmospheric tracks that builds slowly up to it's climax. I love Alex's repeated guitar riffs on this song, they are so emotional and I can really hear the guitar speak to me. I love his solo as well as he gives a solo performance that will rival any other guitar player. The song definitely is repetitive, but it's repeating guitar riffs add to it's atmosphere. I love the synths, they add another dimension that this track simply wouldn't have without them. Lyrically the song is very simple and it is mostly instrumental,l which I personally enjoy on a track like this. Alex's guitar riff that begins about five minutes into the song is absolutely phenomenal and is still one of my favorites by the band. It's repetitiveness and unique sound make it great. "Jacob's Ladder" brings back the progressive feel of the previous album.

4. "Entre Nous" 4:37 (4.5/5)

"Entre Nous" is the last radio hit on the album. I love the beginning of the song, that synth line is awesome. The guitar riff is simple, but effective. Geddy's singing and bass playing is excellent as usual. The chorus of "Entre Nous" is one of the band's catchiest in their entire discography. I love Neil's drumming on this song, it perfectly fits what the rest of the band is doing. The synth and guitar interlude that is basically its solo is fantastic. I love the overall catchyness and feel of this song, it's one of the band's more underrated tracks.

5. "Different Strings" 3:50 (4.5/5)

"Different Strings" is the ballad of this album. It has beautiful acoustic guitar and some excellent vocal work from Geddy. It's definitely Rush's best soft song up to this point. The drumming is also very good for this type of track. Lyrically it demonstrates Rush at their best. The guitar solo is played with such emotion and it definitely is Lifeson's attempt to cry out to us in the audience. "Different Strings" is unexpected and brilliant.

6. "Natural Science" 9:17 (5/5)

"Natural Science" is an epic that deals with Rush's take on concepts of natural science.

I: Tide Pools 1:57

This first movement begins with sounds of water and seagulls. Then an acoustic guitar begins being played. Geddy's singing sounds very good, but different. It's a simple, yet fitting start to the epic Rush track.

II: Hyperspace 2:21

The second movement the other instruments kick in and then an epic guitar riff is played that remains to this day as my favorite guitar riff from the band. The drumming from Neil is awesome and Geddy's bass playing is full of personality. The chorus during this movement is honestly one of Rush's coolest and catchiest. I absolutely love it.

III: Permanent Waves 5:07

Alex Lifeson is at the center of the beginning of this movement. His guitar solo is full of shredding and emotion. I love it and gets the final movement of the song started off on the right track. I love how the song has a sudden tempo change to a very catchy guitar riff. Geddy's bass playing is very prevalent and is wonderful during this entire movement. Neil's drumming is perfect as it always is. Lifeson plays another solo and shreds with speed and distortion again that will rival anyone. The synths are also used well during this song. This movement would be great by itself. "Natural Science" is Rush playing at their best.

My Verdict:

Rush definitely has made their most mainstream successful album yet. Permanent Waves has the progressive sound that made the band's existing fan base fall in love with them and a mainstream sound that added to the band's current fan base. Permanent Waves definitely the album that made me fall in love with Rush and continues to impress me to this day. Permanent Waves is one of the definitive Rush albums. It is the perfect mix of radio friendly tracks and progressive tracks. I absolutely love it.

Grade: A+