Everyone has their own path, yet I still compare myself to others.

I feel Like I'm Running Out Of Time And I haven't Even Lived 2 Decades

Social media causes me to feel like I haven't done enough in my 19 years.

35
Amelia Modes

I've been in a slump or a funk or whatever you want to call it. I'm only 19, and I feel like I'm running out of time. Like I'm not successful enough, or I haven't done enough in my life. Who's to blame for me feeling this way? Maybe social media, maybe myself, maybe a combination of both; does it even really matter? Don't get me wrong; I love social media. I think it's a great way of keeping up with old friends, current events, etc.

Sometimes it's just hard seeing all these young people become so successful and comparing yourself to them. It spurs thoughts of, "Why am I not that successful?" Yes, it could spur the spark needed to push yourself farther and accomplish more. Sometimes though, it just deflates me; like I'll never be that accomplished or successful. I think social media can cause a lot of people to feel this way, but everyone is too afraid to say something since they love the media we consume, but not everything is 100% perfect. I know I'm definitely not.

The annoying part about it all is that I am driven, and I really want to succeed in my life. I just feel like I haven't had motivation recently. I haven't been taking pride in my work, and I crave the rigid structure of school being back in session. When I have a tight schedule and am constantly around others, I thrive. However, left to my own devices, I feel like I can't motivate myself to improve, push farther, do better. But really what's the point of writing and publishing all of this? Is it a cry for help? No, I don't think so. I think this is my way of admitting that sometimes things just feel odd, and you might feel down, and that's okay. I think a lot of young adults and teens nowadays feel this pressure and nostalgia for a life that's barely begun. It's important to remember that we are so young.

Life doesn't last forever, so yes, make the most of it, but move at your own pace and the rest will take care of itself.

You don't have to charge at a full-speed sprint in attempts to reach the finish line quicker; sometimes you need to rest. Sometimes you need to remind yourself that we all wish we had done some things differently, but at the end of the day, you're here and that's what matters.