4 Triggering Questions Vegetarians Don't Want to Be Asked

Please, just don't ask me this.

49
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-carrying-basket-of-fruits-and-vegetables-1389103/

One time my older brother asked me if I cared about plants feelings. Before I could mumble out "yo Jack WTF," he insisted that I care about animals and don't want to kill them, but it's still wrong that I'm killing a carrot. I understand this since vegetables are grown, but I feel as though killing a tomato is different than killing a pig. Is this just me?

I've also had strangers (not many, thankfully) tell me that my individual impact can't make an overall difference in the environment. I feel as though it is rude and discouraging when people try to tell me stuff like that, but then I think about the benefits to my health that this vegetarian lifestyle has brought. As I said, I'm not trying to convince you to become a vegetarian.

These are questions to avoid when talking to a plant-based person about their lifestyle and diet. Don't forget that vegetarians and vegans, and anyone else on any type of diet, are people too! I wanted to create this article to highlight the phrases to avoid when talking about a plant-based diet. I have been a vegetarian for over four years now, and I don't try to force my viewpoints on my friends or peers. I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and therefore my diet should influence anyone else's.

“You don't eat meat? But, like, bacon is so good!”

First of all, I'm not trying to tell you why I don't like bacon. I'm just saying that I choose not to eat that, and it doesn't mean that I want you to change my mind. It's cool that you eat bacon, but that doesn't mean that I should have to eat it too.

"Wow, you're strong, I could never do something that."

Listen, buddy. I don't need your praise for not eating meat. In fact, I probably didn't even bring up the fact that I'm a vegetarian, and so I don't need your kudos. This is something I choose to do for my health and for animals, not because I need you to gas me up.

"Okay, but if you don't eat meat or fish then like, what do you eat?"

I don't know, how about something that has grown from the ground? Or something that isn't from milk or cheese? Sometimes we forget about natural and organic foods, and that not everything needs to be processed. Obviously, I eat snacks like Doritos and pizza rolls, but it's also about eating natural foods like leafy greens and sweet potatoes too.

"Why don't you eat meat?"

This could be a personal thing, but I don't feel comfortable when people ask the reason for my vegetarianism. To be honest, there's not one specific reason and I also don't feel like listing all my reasons. I'm not trying to convert you, I'm just trying to avoid eating animals.