A Tour Guide? No, I'm An Admissions Ambassador

Why I Became An Admissions Ambassador

I can get paid to sell people my school? Count me in!

141
www.giphy.com
Photo by Alex Jones on Unsplash

If you currently attend or have previously attended college, you've probably seen tour guides herding groups of prospective students and their parents across campus, diligently attending to questions while explaining what makes their particular school better than the rest. At Rowan University, these individuals are not referred to as "tour guides", but are instead given the title of "admissions ambassadors".

I remember the first time I ever visited Rowan University in November of 2016. My friend and I decided to make good use of our day off from school by signing up for a campus tour of Rowan. At the time, Rowan was my safety school. I definitely didn't envision myself going to Rowan, but I wanted to check out Glassboro nonetheless.

At the conclusion of the tour, my entire perspective on Rowan University had altered dramatically. No longer did I view it as an option for high school burnouts and those not focused on their future, but rather I saw the up-and-coming institution as a cost-effective alternative that fosters a tight-knit community consisting of dedicated students and selfless faculty.

I was impressed, to say the least, by our group's admissions ambassador, Mike. Mike attained a wealth of knowledge regarding Rowan's history, the buildings on campus, the different services provided by Rowan, and the revitalization of Rowan Boulevard in downtown Glassboro.

Ironically, Mike is now my coworker as I myself have recently become an admissions ambassador at Rowan.

During the spring semester, I was told by a fellow Phi Sigma Pi brother that the admissions office was hiring new ambassadors for the 2018-2019 school year. Intrigued by the opportunity, I decided to pounce by submitting an application shortly thereafter.

After successfully advancing past the group interview stage, I conducted a one-on-one interview with a chief student ambassador. A few months later, I received the email I'd been waiting for, indicating my hiring.

Now, my friends often ask me, "What exactly do you do at your job again?"

This is a stupid question. You see the ambassadors giving tours around campus while donned in their brown and yellow quarter zip pullover sweatshirts on a daily basis. What do you think I do?

I give tours! Well, not yet.

I'm currently training, but I'll be able to throw on the ambassador uniform and talk my mouth off to students and parents alike soon enough. The best decision I've ever made is attending Rowan University, and my goal as an admissions ambassador will be to try and enlighten those who were in the same spot I was in just two short years ago.

Rowan has become my home. I've had supportive professors, gotten involved in numerous campus organizations, and forged friendships with peers to last a lifetime. Rowan is an affordable school fueled by underappreciated administrators and students eager to learn and grow.

If I could do it all over, I'd choose Rowan again.

Not only do I get to brag about how awesome my school is as an admissions ambassador, but I also get paid to do so. No, I'm not a volunteer. I literally receive money to talk about my experiences at Rowan and how they've helped me develop as an individual both socially and academically. I think that's so cool.

I didn't have a job last school year. As a result, I was broke. Now, I have an income to waste on decorations for my apartment and late-night Domino's. It can't get much better than that.

Wait, but it does! All of my coworkers are wonderful people. They're all friendly and outgoing, and I've been fortunate enough to connect with many of them during the training period. I wouldn't even say we're coworkers. We're more like a family.

I love my school and my peers. I also love money. If you're like me, you should also become an admissions ambassador. It's a rewarding job that doesn't require a huge time commitment. As an ambassador, you're able to schedule tours around classes and other extracurricular responsibilities.

It's perfect.

I can rant all day about how much I enjoy being an admissions ambassador, but I'd honestly be wasting both my time and yours. Next spring, I hope you at least consider applying to be an admissions ambassador. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Now, when's my first shift?