7 Tell-Tale Signs You And Your Roommate Are Meant To Be

"A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success" -Doug Larson

614
Kristen McBride

They say that your college roommate is most likely to become your lifetime friend. And here I am, with my roommate Sophie. We’ve been roommates for about one school year. People scared me, saying that most people get the “roommate from hell”. Sophie is anything BUT that. Here are tell-tale signs that you and your roommate are meant to be!

1. You care about the same things

There was something that drew you two together. For Sophie and I, it was color guard. For those four years of our lives, color guard was a very big deal. For me, having someone know what I was craving or missing was super important. From time to time, we go outside and spin together. It won’t recreate the past four years, but it’s nice to have something familiar.

Also, we both have an older male sibling, which can be really annoying. It is very refreshing to have a sister-like figure present. Getting sisterly advice about my outfit of the day, my hair, or my makeup, is also really nice coming from a girl your age rather than your mom; (MOMS ARE STILL PHENOMENAL).

2. You like spending time together

We also have cute little idiosyncrasies. Sophie and I do some light yoga before bed every night and take time to ask each other what we are thankful or grateful for on that day. The answers have been everything from “my health” to “that Pokémon I caught today”. No matter what it is, it is a good way to tell each other how your day went. We also have a pet succulent named Yoojeakn (the K is silent) that we care for and water every Monday. It’s like a little family!

3. You can tell each other anything

There is no such thing as TMI, especially when it comes to living with someone else. Sharing a space with someone doesn’t seem that bad until you realize that the opened milk is three days past the expiration date. We aren't afraid to ask each other to do something, especially if it is for the sake of our room...

4. You enjoy the same foods, shows, and movies

Sophie and I bonded over the little things that happened to mean a lot to us. For instance, cheesecake. Sophie is on a gluten-free diet due to her Celiac disease. I was super nervous about rooming with her because I was afraid of making her sick! But it turned out better than I thought it would. We met up at the Cheesecake Factory and I was so shocked to see that she could eat cheesecake. I was like “oh thank god, we’ll be ok”.

Sophie’s dietary restrictions are really not that bad. She doesn’t touch my stuff, and I hers, but we have one shared drawer in our room, filled with food both of us can eat!

5. You're interested in each other's interests

Sophie really enjoys doing makeup and hair. Me? Not so much. However, it is a great way for us to bond, especially when I ask her to do my makeup when we’re going out. She also has great tips for hair- and skincare, which is extremely helpful.

Sophie also loves playing on her Nintendo Switch with friends and playing Pokemon. Now, I know you’re thinking Why are they still playing that? Wasn’t that a trend like three years ago? The answer: yes. Our college campus is small, and it’s a great way to get off campus and explore the area, especially as freshman. I tried it for the first time this semester, and I have to say it was pretty exciting.

6. You are open and honest with each other

There is not a day that goes by where I don’t ask Sophie if she’s ok or what she’s doing. It’s like I’m her second mom! We’re constantly checking in on each other. Sophie and I both have mental illnesses, so it is imperative that we check in and support each other.

7. Your idiosyncrasies coincide

This is of the utmost importance! It’s all about how you jive together. Whenever I ask Sophie a question, she normally has her headphones in. Now, whenever she has headphones in, I raise my hand like I’m still in elementary school until she calls on me like “yeah, what’s up?”

Whenever there’s a song stuck in my head, I tend to hum or sing it. Sophie usually hears it and sings along with me, turning into an all-out jam session. Eventually, I ask if I can play it out loud so I can stop singing and humming it. And then we chill with music on for four hours.

We also tend to communicate via cat pictures and videos. Ongoing since September 2017.